Vomiting Axy

C

cheryl

My new axy ate for the first time this afternoon. We fed him about 3 "composting worms". He pooped a while later and vomited 2 of them... is this ok or is there a problem?

Depends on how big he is (what age/size)! The amt of worms might have been too much or the taste, hence regurging 2 of them. Ours were a bit fussy about worms at first and kept spitting them out but now come charging to surface as soon as i dip them in.

Are they big worms or small or do you cut them in pieces?

compost worms can have a funky smell and taste im told, mine refuse them. keep trying, smaller portions may be called for though
happy.gif

It is normal to vomit the compost worms cause sometimes they taste really bad, I used to give mine compost worms and they just eat them and a few moments later they would vomit, try to get a different type of worms, or for now just feed him another thing, like blood worms , black worms , small pieces of ox heart, crickets , even pellets.

You may want to also take into account stress.
He is in a new home, he has been transported and moved and at the moment.. out of his comfort zone.

Even if axies are NOT hungry or if they are stressed, it wont stop them from taking offered food (so ive noticed). My axies once vomitted their WHOLE feed, about half an hr AFTER feeding time, due to stress.

It may not be the case... but maybe just take into account
happy.gif

And compost worms do reeeek... i wouldnt be suprised if it was just the smell turning them off LOL

happy.gif

Im sure he'll be right..
Im glad to finally hear about you getting your axie
happy.gif
congrats cheryl!

(Message edited by jojo_is_here on March 18, 2006)

This may sound really sick, but I noticed my new axie Harmony vomited and then ate it again! Ewww.

I've only had Harmony for almost a week now but he seems happy enough but he has had a stressful time since he jumped out of the tank on the second day!

that´s not that ewwwwww... axies tend to eat everything sometimes axies eat their own poo.

try the pisces packs for blackworms and earthworms. Mine seem fine on both...

I will get him some different worms. These are dark coloured, skinny little worms. They are about 1.5in long. Maybe i will try blackworms. I noticed another option at the petshop was "white worms". What are they?

those are pretty small i think, used for fry or things like fighters etc but im not totally sure thats the ones your thinking of lol

their proper name is rotifers. i am going to do a search on them in a sec. i got him some blackworms- what a mess! i got a little plate type thing to put them in which was well and good except i couldnt figure out how to get cray to realise they were there. they are all over the floor of the tank now and he is hunting them. in a few mins i will syphon up whatever is left. im glad hes on sand and not gravel because i think hes eaten about a kg of it. he was fed on gravel at the petshop so im dreading waiting for him to pass it all.

I tried to feed mine earthworms to vary the diet the other night.
One greedily ate three which she later vomited up while the other ate one and spat it out. The worm then crawled back into his mouth (thought it was a safe little cave I guess) and he just went "Oh well now I am going to eat you". About 15 mins later he spat him out though, I figured it was because he didn't like the feeling of it crawling in his mouth. I never considered it could have been taste because I got them from our compost worm farm. I did wash them very well before feeding though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back