Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie with things growing on him

C

clodee

my axie has got plant looking things growing off him, we first noticed them after we had some hot weather. They seem to be getting worse and his gills are deteriorating quickly. We have tried to get the temp down below 25C and have just given him a salt bath and put him in the fridge. Any other sujestions?

kapo

Reaction score
any chance of a photo, you may have to register to upload a photo. What colour are the plant looking things? I assume you are in Oz. Keep up with the salt baths, daily water changes with same temp dechlorinated water. And sorry for repeating myself a photo would give everyone a better idea, if you are able to post one. Also, what are the water parameters of your tank water? ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph.

S

sharn

keep him in the fridge and keep up with the salt baths. im thinking these 'plant looking things' are fungus, are they white and fluffy?

C

clodee

55407.jpg
this is the photo of the growths, they are green in colour. We only know the ph which is at 6.3

S

sharn

im thinking anchor worms or something of the likes, they are definatly a parasite of some sort by the looks of them.

do salt baths 3 times a day and see if that kills them all otherwise you'll need to move onto heavier meds. do a search on anchor worms and see if they seem similar

C

clodee

thanks heaps i have looked them up and it seems they are anchor worms, these things seem pretty nasty i am going to buy some med for him tomorrow and see how we go.

S

sharn

i think that some people pull the big ones off with tweezers, look into that more though, id imagine with those anchor hooks it could be a very tricky job to get them off painlessly. good luck and let us know how ya get on k?

A

apryl

Yeah,I think Rheann had an axie with them,she did the tweezer thing.Poor little guy,good luck getting the little beggers off!Keep us posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1