Please help! Rosie is ill!! Lost nearly all hair from gills!!

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
Please help me, I'm very worried about my new axie Rosie. She has been in a small quarantine tank for a week, but was getting very ill.I did ammonia test, and it was very high, so Rosie must have been suffering from ammonia poisoning. All I could think of in my panic is to put her in the big tank with my big axie Axelina, as the water is perfect in that tank. Rosie was limp when I lifted her to Axelina's tank.I thought she may die. But towards the evening she started moving a bit, and seemed better. She was even very curios to make friends with Axelina. But Axelina must have thought Rosie's pink/red gills are blood worms!!So Axelina tried to bite them a few times, but luckily Rosie is quick, so she got away. I went to sleep around 3am, and checked on them at 5am, all seemed ok. But when I got up around 9pm, most of the hair from Rosie's gills have been bitten off!!She still has all her gills, but they are nearly bold! She had lots of hair in them before! It looks like Axelina has been biting them off all night!!Help! What can I do? Can Rosie breath properly without hair in gills? She seems tired this morning, and doesn't eat. BUt she is not floating, and moves around a little bit.
What can I do? How serious is this? Am really, really worried, and feel ver quilty. Please help little Rosie!! (She is 5")

Millions of thanks in advance!

Don't worry too much, axies can even survive with no gills, so you don't need to worry about her suffocating.

i have just added a smaller axie to my 3ft tank. but when i put the new axie in i rearranged the tank at the same time. my bigger axie was so busy checking out what i was doin that by the time she realised their was something in the tank the little axie had swam past her half a dozen times. i think that she just had to realise that the new axie wasnt food. she was also to busy checking out the tank after i had rearranged everything that they both did this together and now they get on really well. we do get the odd nip at dinner time but thats to be expected. i also made a piont of feeding not long after i put my little axie in to establish that i feed them i make sure not to put any live food in the tank and leave it in there, just in case. this has worked for me.

im not sure how they would have got the filaments and not the gill stalk. axololts can lose alot of their filaments from ammonia burns which i think is the problem, it would have damaged them. dont worry, now that shes in a tank with good water she should be fine and they should grow back quite quick. adding a few natural barriers in the tank could be useful if you suspect axelina is snapping.

ive seen axololts with NO gills stalks let alone filaments, just tiny stubs on their heads and they *seemed* ok. they do have rudimentery lungs they can use if they really need to but keeping your tank well airated will help her a bit till they grow back
happy.gif

Thank you so much for your useful info.I made a tank divider just in case if it's Axelina eating Rosie's hair.( I personally also think it was ammonia poisoning). Rosie hasn't eaten yet,seems very tired, and mostly sleeping.BUt I'm quite hopeful, as she sometimes gets woken up by her curiosity in wanting to go and look what Axelina is doing.
Axelina is sulking, though, as her tank area is reduced to nearly half. She is tryin to dig under the tank divider and climb over it. Poor darling!

Good news! Rosie is eating again, so I think she is feeling better! Once again many thanks for all your advice! Only time will tell if Axelina and Rosie can be friends (They keep staring at each other through the tank divider, and Axelina sometimes tries to nip Rosie through it, and Rosie jumps back.But haha, as there is tank divider, Rosie don't get hurt. Axelina still doesn't swim or run in her half-tank, tho. She is sulking and keeps coming to 'talk' = stare at me a lot with very accusing eyes. Only time she is happy when is when I feed her! But she is so fat now! She nearly looks like a balloon. Wish she would swim, so she would get some excercise to keep her fit!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back