Brutus ate a large rock and hasn't spit it back out

C

colleen

Several weeks ago, my axolotl, Brutus, managed to swallow a large rock (I don't know how considering how big they are) and has yet to spit it back out. He continues to eat as usual and doesn't seem to be bothered by it, other than the fact that his tail end seems to float higher than his front end. He has been in this tank with these rocks (sort of like the gem stones you put in flower vases) since August with no problems. I've searched this entire site for a similar problem, but everything says he will probably spit gravel back out. This being a large rock instead of gravel, I'm wondering what I should do.

If he has swallowed one then he is bound to swallow more. Or may have swallowed them b4 but you have never noticed, when they poo it out it would just blend in with the rest. Are they the ones that are approx 2cm diameter? And is it smaller or larger than the size of his head? (or maybe I shud ask the size of Brutus!)

As axies will snuffle round for food which is why they swallow the gravel/rocks/sand (sand passes thru them easier) which are smaller than their head. Rocks/gravel can cause prolapses and/or constipation (floating rear end!) Changing his substrate/rocks would be a better idea; can change to either sand or bare floor or larger rocks that are much bigger than his head so he doesn't swallow itor big slate type pieces.

As his rear end is floating best thing would be to remove him from tank and place him in a foodsafe container of dechlorinated water and into the fridge (only if your fridge temp is not lower than 5degrees). Keep the water level just above his top fin, so that his feet are able to touch the bottom of the container and doesn't stress him so much. Also, wrap the container in a towel to stop the temp spikes (when fridge gets opened/closed) and also cut down the light/glare. Keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge as you will be doing FULL daily water changes. Keep him in the fridge until his rear stops floating and/or he poos out whatever is blocking him! Can take up to several days. Also, offer him food just b4 waterchanges, tho he may not necessarily eat.

i think you would see it in his tummy if he ate it, are you sure he didnt spit it back out later when you wernt around?

He definitely did not spit it back out. I can tell it's still in his stomach because he has a large lump. Since he is white, I think I can almost tell that it is a blue stone. I'm not sure he will be able to poo it out. It is approximately two centimeters in diameter. Brutus is about 7-8 inches long, with a head about an inch and a half wide. I got him from a friend, so I'm not sure how old he is. He came from our university's research center last April, so I don't think he is more than 2-3 years old.

I noticed him doing kind of a repeated yawn last week, like he was trying to spit it back out. As his mouth was open, I didn't think his throat looked big enough for him to have even swallowed it, or to get it back out.

I will definitely try your fridge advice and am open to any other suggestions. Thanks!

he may well spit it out, hopefully anyway as im not sure he could poo a rock out that size. they have pretty big poos but not 2cm wide! lets hope for the best and hopefully nature will take its course and he'll get rid of it one way or another!

Sharn the 3yr olds we are looking after still poo out the odd greeny glass stone/rock same size every so often (and yes I have seen one of them poo it out at least once since we've had them as opposed to spitting it out!).

Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear that it is possible to poo out this rock, even if it takes some time. I appreciate everyone's help.

I'd make sure you keep an eye on him for any problems swimming/floating/balancing.
Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back