Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Now what?!!

T

tiff

my axie's toes are turning black........why is this. at first it looked like he had gotten in a fight with the wild type, as his gills were shrunken, it looked like he had a scratch on his back. but it also looked like he had white stuff flaking off him, so i put him in the fridge, but when i pulled him out 2night to give him another salt bath his toes had turned black........i hope someone can help cuz he really doesnt look good, even going in the fridge and having 3 salt baths

A

alex

one www.axolotl.org it states somewhere that when the tips of there toes turn black that means they are sexually mature. my luecustic has black toes. im not sure about the white stuff flaking of him and the scratch on back sorry.

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Tiff, our leucs toes turned black when they were kept in the fridge, and they are 7mths now, so I just put it down to the fridge temperature. Colour returned to normal once they were out of the fridge. But Alex is right about maturity, our oldest leuc, 3yrs, has dark toe tips while our older wildtypes have pale toe tips! As for the flakey white bits could be bits of skin. Does he have 2 or 3 saltbaths a day?

S

sharn

i have a 8-10cm baby with black toe tips, i think its poopies personally
happy.gif

flaking skin can be ammonia burns? skin probs are normally delt with salt baths so keep them up and wounds heal nice in cooler temps so your doing all the right stuff, good work!! let us know how he gets on k?

J

jorja

well.. when I got my axies the toes on mine wern't black and then after a while they got black. It means that she is sexually mature, and with its gills, i read that thir gills can shrink when they are put in an area with low oxygen, which is fine and wont hurt them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1