Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not eating???

J

jorja

Hi,
Im just concerned about my axie. she hasn't been eating for about 2 weeks now and getting quite skinny??? Is she sick or just going through a faze??

Please help
Thanks

C

christine

Hi Jorja,

I'm having the same problem. Have a look at the thread "continued eating issues" or something similar.

Not many answers but at least you'll know a lot of others are having the same problems!

I'm coming to the conclusion that its the heat here - a lot of other Ausie axies are having the same trouble.

I've put my fellow in the fridge. Even though its supposed to make them eat less I think he feels better and has nibbled a few worms since I put him in there.

Your problem could be due to something else though...water conditions etc...

Good luck.

S

sharn

axies do go through non eating periods but seeing as your in aussie id say it was the heat. what are the water parameters though? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. have you fed her feeders recently? if you feel she may starve put her in the fridge (have a read around here for more info on that one)

J

jorja

ok.. I think ill put her in the fridge but how long should i put her in for???

S

sharn

until your hot weather passes, until shes back to normal or up to a month.

A

alex

yeah, just leave her in there untill the hot weather passes or untill you have the tank down to a steady temp. maybe get a chiller or try make a homemade chiller, theres been a few threads about homemade chillers lately.

A

alex

no problem
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1