Continued issues with eating

C

christine

I posted a message last week about my axie spitting out all food. he is still not eating and it has been about a month. The last thing he ate was an earth worm.

The strange thing is he doesn't look skinny really. I hope he isn't constipated or something. My substrate is too big for him to swallow.

I put him in the fridge last night because I really think its the temp that is bothering him. Despite my best efforts I'm having trouble keeping it down.

However, I wonder if I've done the right thing because he probably wont eat in the fridge will he? Its not too low - only 11 degrees Celcius. I've tried to feed him in there but he still wont eat.

But he's only been in there for 1 night so perhaps he is still getting used to it.

I'm getting quite worried. A month is a long time not to eat.

Cheers, Christine.

In the fridge axies do not eat, mainly due to the slowing of matabolism.

Yes but its only 11 degrees which isn't that cold. I'm sort of in a catch 22 sittuation because he wont eat because he's too hot (or thats my opinion) and the only way to cool him down is put him in the fridge....

not sure what I should do
sick.gif

yeah just leave him in the fridge. 11 degrees is still enough to slow the metabolism down.

Maybe cover his container with a towel or something so that the light going on and off suddenly does not stress him out. It may help a little.

At 11C they should still eat. They may eat less when cold. My axies have plenty of apetite and they have been in an pond at 9-10C for a couple of months now.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I am still attempting to feed him. He hasn't shown much interest. I think he nibbled a few bloodworms yesterday but its a bit hard to tell.

The wierd thing is he is not skinny at all.

I'll post any changes. Cheers.

I'm having the same problem as well. None of my two axolotls are eating. They chew on their food for one second then spit it out. They haven't eaten for about 3 days and 7 days, respectively. I'm thinking it could be due to the warmer weather, even when I cool their tank with frozen water bottles. They're still looking healthy, albeit floating up on the tank a lot.

Let us know how yours are going, Christine

I am having the exact same problem. My axie, Eric, hasn't eaten in over two weeks. His water temp ranges from 15 to 25 degrees c and the pH sits at 7.2. When i try to feed him he backs away from the food. He wont eat pellets or worms. On occassion he has taken a bite and spat it out. he's getting a bit on the thin side but shows no other sign of infection, (no discoloration) i have noticed tiny black spots on his toes almost as if he had dirty finger/toe nails. any ideas?

I'm glad my axie isn't the only one!

Carlos is still in the fridge and seems to be doing well (other than not eating). Unfortunately the fridge is a little bit dodgey though and tends to turn itself off if I turn the fridge down (so the temp is higher). Consequently its only at 5 degrees now so it can maintain a steady temp.

However, on the upside I offered him some bloodworms tonight and he ate a mouthfull!! Woo-hooo! I'll have to check him later tonight to see if he's spewed it up though!

Its a bit of a suprise because I really didn't expect him to eat at such a low temperature.

Hopefully this will be the return of his appetite...but somehow I think its going to be a slow process...
lame.gif

PS. The current appetite problems seem to be associated to Australian axies - I think the problem must definitely be temperature related.

i live in cairns and before i bought a chiller my axie would go weeks without eating yet all water levels were fine and no fungus or infections of any sort, but then i installed the chiller and bingo she never stops eating

Ok ... Might sound like a complete tool when I say this but ... "A CHILLER!?!?" You can by tank chillers? Can you give me more info ... Like where you bought it?

chillers are expensive, maybe you could try make a homemade chiller?.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back