Cause of fungus?

G

gayle

my newest axie has just gotten what i have now found out to be a fungus disease...i wwas wondering if anyone could help me find out how he got it as i have a female in the same tank who doesnt have it.(from what i can see) the water temp is 19 degrees. since i bought him home he doesnt eat very much i feed lily freeze dried tubifex worms and treat her with feeder fish every now and then..but charlie ate the tubifex once and now i can only get him to eat the feeder fish.the pet shops around me dont seem to know much on what else to get as they gave me freeze dried brine shrimp which neither will eat.
i was thinking of getting earth worms i read it was best to breed your own how do i go about this?
another thing i thought of could be the quality of the water as i have just recently cleaned and filled the tank how do i check this?
if any one could help with any or all of my questions i'd really appreciate this as charlie is really cute and it took me ages to find a pure black on i dont want him to be sick!

water quality is probably the reason - they can get stressed and then get fungus easier.

Buy a Master Test Kit that tests for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and pH. Or else go to a pet shop and they'll test it for free. Make them give you the exact numbers and post them here.

Have you been doing daily 20%-30% water changes since the tank isn't cycled?

Earthworms can be dug up outside or bought at a bait shop or pet shop

thanks i'll get it tested tomoz
i havent been doing water changes...i;ve only had my tank for about a month and this is all new to me..does this mean to take out 1/3 of the water and change it?
thanks for the help!

ok here goes- your going to need to take in a fair bit in the next few days buts its crucial to your axies health.

heres a link on cycling http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml its basically the process of bacteria building up to process fish waste. NEVER break down your whole tank and clean it all and fill it back up unless you are dealing with contagious diseases etc, it will cause your tank to re-cycle which is not only a hassle but can affect your axies health. during the cycle (which normally lasts around a month) you will need to be doing daily water changes of 25-30% to keep the ammonia down, ammonia burns fish and can cause your axies skin to peel, nitrite is also nasty at high levels. you need to get the test kits that skylar reccomended to see whats going on in the tank during cycling. it also helps to have them if your axie gets sick, water is the first thing we look to. only if you have animals in a tank while cycling will you need to do water changes. if you have access to any filters/gravel etc from another persons disease free tank you can put that in and it will jump start the cycle.

his fungus could very well be from stress due to high ammonia and nitrites. when axies get stressed etc their immune system drops which is when fungus sets in, its a oppertunistic pathogen but its not hard to get rid or normally.

directions for salt baths can be found here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml more info on it can be found by browsing round the boards
happy.gif

freeze dried bloodworms are quite fatty from what i remember so id switch to things like worms, a good quality pellet, frozen foods (some stores carry frozen fish foods), mealworms- fatty and cut their heads off so normally a treat only, blackworms (they can live in substrate though so moniter that one if you think any got away), frozen bloodworms (also messy as they break up) etc etc. we reccomend not feeding feeder fish as they can carry alot of diseases if bought from stores and even home bred can still contain ickies that will harm your axie.

what do you have as a substrate (botom of tank) if you have gravel get this out now, replace it wil large river rocks (big enough not to fit in the axies mouths, also hard to clean) or sand (play sand, filter sand etc etc). axies will eat gravel which can block them up and we hear of peoples axies dying from time to time because of it. it will interrupt your cycle a bit but with those water changes everything will be fine and your axies will be better in the long run
happy.gif

normal routines for established tanks are normally weekly water changes of around 30% along with a substrate vacumn (this is where siphons come in handy, 2 in 1!!) depending on the type of filter you run the media gets rinsed in tank water when needed. spot cleaning for axie poops are a good idea and can be picked out with a turky baster (best poop cleaner ever i say hehe)

ok well thats certanly enough for that post lol but if ive missed anything im sure someone will add some more. welcome to our site, we have alot of friendly, helpful people here who will be glad to answer any questions you have!!!

thank you so much...the salt water baths have helped alot and have cleared up the fungus...i've been doing the water changes and it looks like its all clearing up!
happy.gif
im just looking around now for food that he will eat so i'll give the ones you suggested a try! thanks again! i had no idea!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back