Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Episode V - The Eric Strikes Back.

S

stuart

Some of you may remember episode IV – A New Hope (for Eric).

Eric was taken to the Sugarloaf Animal Surgery (NSW, Australia) for observation.
While there, he had 10mL extracted from his abdomen and was placed on a course of antibiotics.

What was wrong? A liver infection. It comes down to bad nutrition. I had followed the instructions given to me by the store that sold Eric to me … Only to find that I was over feeding him and over feeding him the wrong foods.

The vet has sent me home with hypodermic syringes and antibiotics and I am completely changing his diet. He’s not out of the woods yet, but he is making steady progress. Thanks to everyone who offered their advice.

I’ll post regular updates and photos as he gets better. I would also like to add that I have learned more in the last week about these fascinating little creatures than in the whole time I have owned Eric and I would only be to happy to share info with anyone who may need it.

A

amanda

Hi stuart,
what did the pet store advise to feed him? Because they gave me a jar of "axolotl food" pellets.
Is this what they gave you? Just so I no not to feed this to my axie.
Thanks,
I wish eric all the best.

J

joan

Good to know Eric is looking better. Most of those 'pellets' are vegetarian (mainly corn) based. I've yet to see an axolotl chow down on an ear of corn. Earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms, most worms, aside from mealworms (which should be decapitated and fed as a treat), plus occasional beef heart or liver makes for a good varied diet.

Best of luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!