Red leg + white thing..

S

skylar

My wild type's leg has gone bright red - and he is sticking it out at an angle. Behind the leg there is a white wormy looking thing. Anyone know what this is? the white thing is very thin and approx 1 cm in length.
Thx in advance

anchor worms maybe? do a search on here for some info on them. im not sure if they cause red limbs though so id wait for more info on that part.

I'm stupid, I had added the algae eaters without quarentine - I was that desperate to get rid of the algae
sad.gif
They probably added the parasites?

very likely, too late now sadly so you will just have to battle them as best you can, can you get a pic of the worm? will make it easier to ID it then you can get onto killing all those nasties!!!

no my digital camera is too <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> to take a photo of something so small. Actually the "worm" looks to be a strand of skin coming from a patch of white - i tried removing it with tweezers and i think i just ended up giving him a lot of pain. I drew a pic to show where it is approx

54063.jpg

did you look into anchor worms? im not sure how just one strand of skin would come off unless he got a cut and the skin didnt fall off? give salt baths a go. see if that helps any

well when i took him out of the fridge this morning to give him a salt bath, there was bits of skin floating in the tank - and no worms. Hollywood however gave me a refund on the algae eaters as they gave me completely wrong advice about keeping them with axolotls. The arm is really really swollen and red though
sad.gif
He was floating on his side in the fridge so i don't have much hope
sad.gif

maybe they sucked off his slime coating? dont give up, people just admit defeat too easily, keep up with salt baths and keep him in the fridge and he may just pull thorough!! dont give up! im not too sure what could be causing the red leg, other than the disease 'red leg' maybe look into that?

Isn't red leg when there is red spots on the leg? I think one of my other axies may have nipped the leg or he hit it on something, because around the elbow joint is very swollen and he won't move the leg much. The LFS said it was probably bacterial :/

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Skylar Lenoir wrote on Sunday, 19 February, 2006 - 10:45 :</font>

"He was floating on his side in the fridge so i don't have much hope "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Is he still floating on his side? If he is maybe lower the water so his feet touch the bottom of the container but that it still covers him.

that's what the water level is, however he seems to be side-heavy :/ there isn't any improvement but, more skin keeps coming off. none of my axies have had skin come off before! Its not from water qual either, the parameters are fine.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.05
Nitrate 9
pH 7.3

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Skylar Lenoir wrote on Monday, 20 February, 2006 - 07:16 :</font>

"the parameters are fine.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.05
Nitrate 9
pH 7.3"
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Hi Skylar, you mention nitrate 9? I tested my tanks today and the FW test kit i use - the nitrate readings card has 0/5/10/20/40/80/160... on it. Sorry, just curious really what test kit you use :D

I'm not sure the exact brand, i test it at work (i work at a LFS while in uni) and it has 0-10, 15, 20, then it has 10 increments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back