Very Sick Axie

D

dra6on

Hi Everyone

I hope someone can help. My black axie has been feeling rather ill for the last month, he had a lot of fungus and no matter how many salt baths I gave him the fungus still returns on his body and on his gills. I keep the water temp of the tank always at 16-20 degrees. I treat the water with a product called Prime that removes any Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia, detoxifies nitrate and nitrate.

I still have the problem. About a week ago I thought he was back to normal after he ate a earthworm, but today after I gave him another salt bath he took the turn for the worse and started floating sideways nearly dying on me.

I quickly took him out of the tank and place him in the fridge.

My concern about placing him in the fridge is how long can they stay in there without a filter system and fresh water circulation. I would leave him in there forever if I knew he'd get better.

At the moment he has regained a bit of movement from being in the fridge and all his loose fungus on his body has dropped off but Im still very concerned about putting him back in the tank as the temp of the tank as stated above is 16-20 and the temp of water in the fridge is approx 13-12.

Does anyone have any suggestions Im on my last legs myself trying to figure out what I can do to make him feel better again. I love my little buddy
sad.gif

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreaciated many many thanks.

dragon

What are the levels of Ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank? Also, in an established tank you shouldn't need to use a product like that, besides I'm not even sure how well they work. The ammonia etc are food for the beneficial bacteria in your tank.

You can keep your axolotl in the fridge for about a month and you need to completely change the water in the container everyday. What I do is just have two tubs of dechlorinated water in the fridge with the axolotl in one. I just swap them from one to the other everyday, replacing the water in one when i do.

But doesnt the water temp in the fridge get toooo cold for them ??

no - they don't mind cold water over 5 degrees. 12-13 is probably warmer than what it should be at for recovering - i find 7-8 the best

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back