Now my axi has frozen back legs and a white dot at the end of tail???

N

natalia

Well, I have taken my axie out of the fridge because I was scared as I told you before it was 10 centigrades and his back legs were like stiff and when I touched them there were like frozen. I know that they can stand low temp. but my axie was used to temp. up to 26 cent. more or less so could it be that it harmed him in a way? So I decided to take it out though it hasnt eaten for 20 days already and changed the water and put ice to keep the temperature cold but not so cold maybe 20 degrees to see what happens to the back legs.
I've also notice only a little white spot at the back of his tail... could that be something???? (apart from the fact that he has never hairs in his gills)I've also noticed that his eyes are like too white...
I would thank you all if you could give me another hand. Thanks I'm really worried about him, he's been my friend for almost 6 years now.

even if it was used to 26C it was most likely very unhappy, its in the axolotls genes (dont know how to put it lol) to stand lower temps, thats what theyve evolved to stand. what colour is he? and any pics? is the dot fluffy? sorry i cant help you on the back legs though
sad.gif

how are the back legs looking now?. like sharn said 26C is really not a good temp for an axie. maybe you could try the homemade chiller that people are talking about?.

Well, my axie hasn't eaten so far. His back legs are better now in the tank outside the fridge. Now the temperature I'm trying to keep is more or less 17 degrees to 22 degrees.
I have noticed a white dot and some very littlle other spots , two or three along the tail. Is that fungus , if so what can I put to the water.
I have some medicine for fish... like BACKTOPUR, MICOPUR and COSTAPUR... Do you know any of these products they are for different parasites.
If you know the kind of parasite it may have could you tell me so I ckeck it in these medicines? Thanks a lot.
The dots don't still look as if there were something like cotton

hi,

some of the medications for axies can be very toxic. go to the bottom of this page http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm. it says all the toxic and non toxic medications for treating sick axies. if your axie has fungus you're better of to just give him salt baths. its good to hear his legs are looking better.

Thanks for your help. I feel a bit better as yesterday he ate an earth worm.
And something else... One of his gills seems a bit white but from the inside.. what could it be?
Do I have to give him baths all over his body or just his tail?
Thanks a lot for your help!!! Naty
Ah My axie is ping, an albine.

you submerge his whole body in the salt bath. im glad he ate an earth worm thats a good sign of improvment. are you able to get a picture of him for me to see? that would help a lot.
happy.gif

is he a golden? golden albinos get some really wierd pigmentation. i would hold off on the heavy meds for the moment unless you can diagnose it. good to hear hes eaten something though!!

Hi well Im sending some pics sorry they are not good enough.
Well I've also notice something fluffy in his toes, could that be fungus too?
Im adding methylene blue to the water (3 drops in 3 liters more or less) before salt baths. Im a bit afraid about salt as his gills are so small!!
My axi is pinkish and is 22 cms long aprox. and he is 5 years old.
Well thanks Naty

53793.jpg

53794.jpg

53795.jpg

53796.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on February 15, 2006)

i cant help much either sorry, as long as your meth blue dose isnt too high it wont be harming him, probably a half dose would be good. salt baths will be fine, they only hurt the gills when you make the salt too strong or leave them in the bath too long. sorry i cant help more with his legs, i wonder if there are any diseases that would affect nerves?

Hi again, well today I gave him the first salt bath (1 and a half teaspoon in a litre aprox for10 minutes) and after an hour he vomited something fluffy and brownish... like dribbling could that be as a result of the baths?
Thanks a lot, Naty
sad.gif

probably bolus (partially digested food that he vomited up), pretty gross aye! is he looking any better at all? fingers crossed on my end for ya

your axie is in a bad shape...
And also 5 years old and only 22 cm?... he looks like some of the axies that I have in the Aquarium where I work, they have got sick and started to get smaller, their bodies becamed deformed and then died. My best advise is to check the water levels if you have a good filtration do not change the water too much, also keep him at least betwen 14 to 18 Cº

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back