Uh oh, fungus alert!

jessica

Reaction score
Display Name
Jessica J. Miller
I think my little axolotl is having a fungus problem. I've noticed some grayish fuzzy looking stuff on his sides and it doesn't seem to be going away. I figure it's time for a salt bath, but I want to make sure that I have the concentration right. Axolotl.org says to add 2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre/two pints, but my little guy is only ~3.5 inches long, so should I decrease the concentration or leave him in the salt bath for a shorter amount of time since he's still young?

Use one teaspoon per litre? That's what I used on my axies when they were small, once they reached 6" i used 2/L

It's usually around 16-18 degrees. I did the salt bath and it seems to have gotten rid of all the fungus, so I'm happy.
happy.gif

thats great to hear jessica!. im happy the fungus has gone already. that temp sounds perfect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back