Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ok....Now im scared

S

stipe

First of my golden has an eye infection and now kinda appears to have a skin infection, but now i think my white one has been invaded by parasites.

The reason i think so is because out of the blue i jsut saw him spin around a couple of times like he was chsing his tail, then did a couple of flips, ramed into the wall and swan to his cave. He went HYPO, i think squidy has a parasite problem and they're in his brain or somthing and he twitch to cope with them, what do you think it is?

R

rheann

It could be anchorworms behind the gills. He might be trying to scratch at them.

I had an anchor worm problem with Bobo my golden female a few months back. I had emailed the axolotl colony and they suggested I use Clout, as they use it. It contains malachite green, but the colony suggested that I use one dosage of it, and that should do the trick. If it does not, then continue use until you see the axolotls gills bleed and then dis-continue use.

I emailed the moderators this information a while back, so hopefully soon it will be up in the safe - none safe section that it is ok to use in this case.

I'm not sure however of any other medications that can be used. I suggest that you email the colony and see if they can help you. They usually respond right away and are very helpful. Here is a link to their website:
http://bigapple.uky.edu/~axolotl/

If you find out what is going on, please post your findings. I suggest in the mean-time to move your axolotls into separate containers and put them in the fridge with salt baths.

You also might want to seek vet help, if you can get a vet in your area that knows about axolotls.

Good luck
happy.gif

S

stipe

How about multicure, it do contains malachite green, 0.600mg to be exact, i was recomended half dose but im not sure now, its a bacterial remidi though, i might go looking for a parasite remedie. WOuld it affect my otehr axie if she is in the tank?

S

sharn

i find axies twitch or flick when theyre itching (from some type of parasite) or the ammonia is super high (burning them). id seperate them so if its catchy it cant spread. hopefully joan or ed will see this thread and give you their thoughts (they always know what to do lol)

S

stipe

Ok you guy told me not to use multicure so i went out and bought melafix, heres a pic, the active constituents are cajeput oil 9.23 g/l
Is it safe? and will it kill the parasite. Sharn, no my ammonia is 0 so it couldnt be that.

51327.jpg

J

joan

I have no experience with parasites or melafix, so I'll leave this one for Ed.

R

rheann

Stipe, I would first try Clout. You can try emailing the axolotl colony about Melafix, or contact Ed.

Clout works for anchor worms.

R

rheann

Oh, it also works for other parasites as the colony has told me.

Just make sure if you pick up a box, check inside to see if there really is any tablets inside the box. I got ripped off that way once. Someone has stollen the tablets out of the package. I was so mad!
violent.gif

E

edward

Stipe,
What you are seeing may be due to a parasite but you need to get this documented (a skin scraping will tell if there is a protozoal or other skin infection) but is can also be due to something spooking the axolotl. This can be from a variety of sources such as vibrations, sounds, movements, changes in light, shadows, changes small electrical jumps (may need to ground the tank).... These may be small enough that you do not notice the source of the stimulation.
Typically if you closely visually inspect the axolotl you can seen the anchor worm on the axolotl but it may take several attempts at finding it.

Ed

S

stipe

thanks for the advice, i'll contact the colony.

Ed i now noticed that his top left gill is bleeding, well there is no liquid blood but there are blood shot red patched on it, is that red leg or waterver or a sign his getting better like the parasits are leaving etc?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1