Odd behaviour

M

mathew

my 10 cm axoltol has recently taken to swimming madly at the surface, also he looks perpetualy super underfed when he gets fed every second day. the other thing he does is to always keep his mouth open and "swallows" water every few seconds? the temp is fine and i have two others in there which he hasnt been seperated from ever and the are acting fine, his tail is looking really thin too not width but loosk almost solid and is not as tall as it should be? can anyone hlep? he doesnt look sick, just acting wierd

not sure but put him in the fridge for the time being, its hot in aussie and even though you say the temps fine being cooler wont help, as long as your fridge is over 5C it will be ok. have a read around this part for a 'how to' on putting axies in the fridge if your unsure. any questions bout it do ask though!

Mat, do you hand feed your axolotls. Perhaps the other two in the tank are outcompeting him in the hunt for food.

I have noticed my axie has his mouth open a little all the time too. I have seen him 'swallow' water too. I was also wondering if this is normal as well.

you know that when a axolotl is floating that means he does not have enough oxygen or hi is ill

When was floating mentioned?

Moderator's note: Jarred, I accidently deleted your post when I went to remove the double posting and could not put it back in the correct order. Sorry,

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on February 06, 2006)

floating does not always mean they do not have enough oxygen.

emily/mathew- do you mean yawning? axies do yawn from time to time and i suppose it does look like they are swallowing water?

Do axies really yawn, or is it just a way of describing it?

i dont think there was a post on floating. they just look like theyre yawning, open their mouths really wide, not sure what theyre actually doing sorry. mathew- any news on your axie?

Mine doesnt look like he is yawning. His mouth is just open a little tiny bit when he stands still. I havnt seen mine 'swallow' water in the last few days so im assuming whatever he was doing it has stopped. Thanks
Em.

We are looking after some adult axies for friends of ours and I noticed they do that quite a lot. Just sit with their mouths partially open, haven't seen it swallow water tho, and they seem ok.

Mathew how is your axie doing? If you don't have a test kit, maybe your local petshop/aquarium can test the water for u?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back