Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie

S

samantha

I have two axies a male and a female, i have had them about 6 months and they have both been really good eaters but over the past few weeks the male has gone really sluggish not moving around much and he wont eat he has 2 meal worms in the past 3 weeks. Any ideas what could be wrong with him?

A

alex

meal worms can constipate axies i think. whats the temp of the tank?.

J

jojo

Meal worms are quite hard for axies to digest - given they have an outer shell, so like alex suggested - he could be clogged up/constipated.
Try feeding him something else - give him abit of variety.

S

skylar

As jojo and alex said, constipation is a likely cause. But also, if the water temp is cold, that might be whats affecting your axies. One of my axies is just as active in the fridge as in the tank which is kept at 20 degrees, and eats normally, yet the other one is slow and sluggish and won't eat.

S

sharn

i posted something in the other thread
happy.gif

S

samantha

I have my tank at about 64 degrees F,which my tutor said it needs to be at to help there digestive system work properly.

S

sharn

i think anywhere from 10C-20C they 'work' fine. above well- thats over heating them and below you probably wont notice much difference till you get to around 7C or below i think. their digestive system works good at quite a wide temperature range. 18C/64F is a great temp though so thats probably not a problem
happy.gif
id say hes blocked up

J

jojo

Ive posted in your other thread - something along the lines of Sharn's post lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1