Binox to treat fungus?

G

genevieve

I've had Milo (albino axie) for two years now and he's never gotten sick before yesterday. I'm guessing it is a fungus problem because there are little white bits all over his usually smooth skin. He also looks like he is retaining some water (swollen skin) because he looks slightly puffy and his eyes are a little sunken in. I went to the pet store in search of Nitrofura-G and Murcurochrome, but the woman advised me to use Binox because we couldn't find the first two. I hate to sound un-trusting, but I am when it comes to anyone else and my baby, so I wanted to ask if you guys thought it was alright to use. I'm a little nervous because one of the active ingredients is sodium chloride and I know it is bad to use for extended periods of time, but i only put in about 4 crystals of the stuff to every liter. The other active ingredient is nitrofurazone. Before I bought this I was doing the usual salt bath, water changes, and fridge time to stop the spread. Appetite is still up, and he is still very active. Any suggestions as to what I should (or shouldn't, in the case of Binox) do?

Continue on with Binox (as both active ingredients listed are 'safe'). The dosing instructions are probably for fish, so I would go half-strength with the dosing instructions.

I would do the baths of binox in conjunction with the fridge. Put water in the fridge next to the axolotl and use that to do water changes and salt baths.

Keep the affected animal in a quarantine tub (most of us use food-ware tubs). Don't put it back in the main tank until it is fully healed. I'd also do a big water change on your main tank, and check the water quality. Usually fungus is a sign of stress, either from abnormal water quality or heat.

Update:
He has been in a tupperware container in the fridge ever since he got sick and I was so crazed by his illness everything got scrubbed- tank, tubes... the whole house, etc. So you don't have to worry about that. He is under stress because I just transported him home from college for break and away from his normal set-up, poor thing.

I did use the Binox, but not as a wash. The instructions had said to just put it in the water, so I did. Today when I checked up on him his color had started returning to normal and his skin looked less puffy, but he had spiderweb looking stuff coming off his gills and fingers... and somehow I don't think that that is part of the healing process. So, I gave him a salt bath and put him into new (conditioned, obviously) water.

Should I attribute the spiderwebs to the fact that I let him stay in the Binox water overnight and it wound up hurting his skin? Bah. I thought it was safe because it was ridiculously diluted (5g to 95L, but in my case a couple tiny tiny crystals to his 2L "hospital"), but I guess I was wrong. At least it cleared up his other symptoms, haha...

Thank you for responding
happy.gif

Spider webbing was probably shedding skin, possibly due to burning from the Binox. Although if you've discontinued the soaking solution, and no more shows up, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on him.

I just wanted to conclude this thread by informing everyone that Milo is doing wonderfully and feeling all better
happy.gif
Thank you so much!

my axie wont move its ears are turning white evan though they were organley red and it has a big purple spot on its head the pet store said it was funges but it wont eat or anything pls help i dont wont to lose my axie!

by ears do you mean gills? the gills will go white when your axie is less active because less blood flow and more red when hes more active because more blood flow. im not sure what the purple spot on its head would be. are you sure your axolotls still alive?.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back