Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin colour

E

emily

Just a quick question, I have had my axie for about a year. He's a dark green/black/olive colour. As he has gotten older, he has got a few white pigment spolotches on his head and some of his body. I was worried, but i was told that its just his skin pigment. Is this normal? I have a bristle nose in with him, but the bristle nose sometimes sucks on his tale or his body, I'm assuming its not a great thing, but there are no signs of the bristle nose actually doing damage where he has sucked.

Also, i have him in the fridge atm for a skin injury, if he does have a skin problem (with the white patches), will it go away while he's in the fridge fixing his injury?

Thanks

J

joan

It's pretty normal for axolotls to change color as they age. However, if white spots are showing up AND you have a catfish in there AND he sucks on your axolotl, he's probably doing damage. I would seperate them.

The fridge keeps the metabolism of damaging microorganisms down, allowing axolotl immune systems to overcome them. The cold of the fridge doesn't actually 'heal' anything. I think it's the catfish causing the white patches.

E

emily

Ok thanks. I dont think i'll worry too much about the spots. I'm taking the bristle nose out the tank anyway. The spots look like they are part of the skin pigment, its not furry or infected and he doesnt seem to be sick with them as he has had them for a fair while now.
Thanks for your help
Emily

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1