Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing axie?

C

casey

I've posted about my axolotl that others have suggested might be morphing, but I'm hoping that someone who has an axie that has already morphed or knows more about morphing axies might see this thread and comment on whether or not they think my axolotl is morphing and what I can do to help her.

Please see this link for all information and picture...

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/52666.html?1138196651

Thanks in advance

S

stipe

It looks like shes morphing. One thing that gives me a hint is the form/structure of her legs, they're starting to look like land dwelling amphibian legs. Others might disagree with me but ive seen those leg shapes on a morphing axie and they differ to the normal axie legs. The shrinkage or her tail and change of her body structure could be another hint. Just keep an eye on her. IF her gilld start decreasing more, than most likley she is. Unless this is some sort of disease.

Heres a pic of a metamorhped axie, to show you the final stage.
52695.jpg

C

casey

I have been feeding Martini a variety of foods (when she eats). She hasn't eaten for about a month really.

I used to give her worms, pellets, beef heart, whitebait (frozen).

Stipe, I know what you mean about her legs - they used to be really skinny and now they are a bit more muscly which I've read is a sign of metamorphosing.

I hope she can survive, I have heard that some of them don't make it through the morphing.

Thanks for the pic too.

(Message edited by caseyb on January 27, 2006)

M

mathew

ok at the risk of sounding like a girly girl, when i am infact male, that thing, that metamrophed one looks like a <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> with legs, im sorry but that thing is really really ugly, it looks like some sort of fetus, sorry to say,. but, i dunno, are they normaly that ugly?

J

jeff

Sometimes this is due to thyamine in the food, which causes metamorphasis. Ragen pellet food does claim that there could be some in there. Thats what I think happend.

S

stipe

Casey if it is indeed metamorphing and survives, BE HAPPY. There are no salamanders alloud in australia. IF you dont tell anyone but your family then the governemnt wont kill it and you'd be one of the only people with a salamander. Another good thing is that if you find another with it you breed it and there you go, lol.

S

sharn

i also thought her tummy looked a bit 'un axie' like... wont it be exciting if she makes it through!

C

casey

Mathew - that's what my boyfriend thinks my axies look like - I told him he's got too much of something on his mind.

Jeff - i have a feeling that some of the salt I might have used may have iodine in it - it didn't that it did on the packet but who knows what they don't tell you these days?

Stipe - if she metamorphoses and survives, I'll be very happy - just because she's alive though. I have actually seen a few salamanders at a pet shop - they were like $90 or something - looked a lot like the pic you showed me. I'm sure there's a lot worse illegal things that go on in Australia than my axolotl morphing into a salamander. If they killed it for that reason I would go to some sort of authority and dob them in for animal cruelty. But, I have heard that it is almost impossible to get them to breed once they've morphed - think i read it on axolotl.org

Sharn - what was it about her tummy that makes it look 'un axie' like?

Will be exciting if she makes it through. I will be sure to post heaps of pics and tell you all about her progress.

Although, as yet, I haven't seen her get onto land (the top of the rock).

S

stipe

Hmm mabey cause ur in victoria. HEre in nsw its illigal to have the little buggers.

S

sharn

it just looked like concave? axies tummies sort of hang down a bit when viewed from the sides... dont listen to me though, my eyes do silly things

J

joan

Stipe, axolotls are axolotls, whatever life stage they're in. It's rather difficult to pass laws that make it legal to own an animal in one stage of it's life history, and illegal to own it while it's in another. That's like saying it's legal to own puppies, but not dogs. Or legal to own kittens but not cats. SPECIES are illegal, not life stages.

A

alex

your axolotl does show a lot of signs of metamorphes, tail shrinking, gills shrinking, legs growing bigger and change in head shape. it will be so exciting if it makes it
happy.gif
has anything changed much since the last photo taken?. also the eyes on your axie are looking a bit bulgy.

i have never had a axie metamorph so i dont know for sure if shes metamorphing but from what iv heard your axie is showing signs of it.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on January 27, 2006)

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on January 27, 2006)

S

stipe

I get what your going on about joan but i doubt the nsw wild life authority will really tell the diff between that and an axolotl. They wouldnt believe me, lol.

Casy, keep us up to date with pics.

C

casey

Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that Martini passed away this morning.

I went to put her on the rock and I noticed she wasn't moving.

I placed her back in the water and she tumbled upside down and didn't move.

I think it was probably just too much for her as she was already very skinny so she might not have had the strength to go through metamorphosis.

My brother has offered to bury her in our front garden and my Dad suggested we have a Martini tonight in memory of her life.

Thank-you all for your advice and enthusiasm.

M

mathew

sprry to hear it mate, it least she went peacefully hey, she was lucky to have someone like you who cared enough, you seem to be takin it well, mine died a week or so ago and i was not a happy chappy, good luck mate, chin up

C

casey

She looked like she was in pain, so I'd rather her die if she was so that she didn't have to suffer. There's no point in me dwelling on it. If she didn't get better I would have let her go myself because I don't want any of my axolotls to be in long term pain. I am sad that she's gone but she's in axie heaven now and she'll be much happier, probably has nice fluffy gills and eating lots of fat juicy worms.

"Chin up"... my brother says that too... must be an aussie thing!

S

sharn

aww im sorry too, ill bet she is eating some yummy worms up there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!