Advice URGENTLY needed.....

L

lynn

Hey.... I've had a pair of axi's for about 1 year, just under 2 weeks ago 1 of em developed what looked like a fungal infection so i put him in the fridge and done salt baths for 10mins twice a day plus adding Myxazin to the water but it doesn't seem to be working. The condition has got worse, as in the skin on his feet has almost gone leaving just bones almost to his knees and hardly any gills left, it has also spread to his mouth. The other axi is fine.. Swimming and eating etc... Can someone please help or suggest something before its too late.. I have phoned around for a vet but there are none available in my area
Fingers crossed
Lynn

well if its eating away at its legs im not too sure what to do- a skin scraping maybe? to determine if theres anything eating away at him?

Not really sure what to do with a skin scraping as there are no vets in my area that deal with axi's. I guess i should just wish and wait to see if he gets any better. I'm really stuck as to what to do next. I hate seeing him in that state grr and not being able to do anything about it
Thanks for replying
Lynn

post pictures. That goes a long way to pinpointing what to do.

Will do my best to get a pic.... He really doesn't look very good tho.
Some good news... I have at last found a vet who deals with axi's... Am gonna phone em up Monday, so fingers crossed that he can save my 'little man'

A couple of pics.. The best i can do
51952.jpg
51953.jpg

i think it was Amy that had axies whos feet were getting eaten for no reason, she did a skin scraping and it turned out the axies had around three *i think* parasites. get the vet to do a skin scraping and tell you if they find anything from it. hope the vet call goes well! fingers crossed! (and toes, and arms, and legs, well you get the drift lol)

I'm afraid to say it is too late as he passed away sometime last night whilst he was in the fridge... At least i know he's not in pain anymore eh
Thanks for responding/replying
It was greatly appreciated
Lynn

ohhh lynn im sorry to hear that!! Thats terrible!
Did anyone pm you regarding what else you could have done.. or what it actally was (how it was caused etc)?? Or the vet even?

First i am sorry for your loss.
But it could be something in the water if it were me i would clean the tank.
Sorry for the loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back