Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

!help! with pictures

S

sarah

I changed the water in the tub for my axies before i left lastnight, when i came home this morning the water was all clowdy. I put rap n tekno in another tub and i noticed that they both chuck up their food. then as i took a look at them i noticed white fluffy stuff on them.
51616.jpg

51617.jpg

Is it fungus????

R

rheann

Yes that is fungus. Give them salt baths as soon as you can.

I believe it is two teaspoons of table salt to two litres of water twice a day for ten to 15 minutes a day until the infection clears up and also keep them in the fridge. Keep clean declorinated water in the fridge with them so that there isn't much of a temp change.

Once the infection is back to normal, change their water twice a day while they are in the containers to prevent something like this happening again.

Good luck, let us know how they do
happy.gif

S

sarah

Normal table salt?
or some kind of different salt?
And how long should a salt bath take?

(Message edited by DVSGAL on January 10, 2006)

A

alex

buy the salt from your pet store. the salt bath should be about 10-15 minutes.

S

sarah

ok i will do that
happy.gif

I used table salt like is said on the website, i hope thats ok :|

G

genevieve

That's what I did for mine and it cleared it up
happy.gif
I've read on another thread that the iodin additives are bad, but the main part of the site says table salt is perfect- so that's what I used. Some may disagree, but I'm just telling you what I know from my experience
happy.gif
Just keep right at it and wrap their container in the fridge with a towel so that every time you open the door the light doesn't blast them in the eyes!

PS. You should still try to pick up aquarium salt as soon as you can... just to be sure
happy.gif

(Message edited by ziggypie on January 10, 2006)

S

sarah

I just bought aquarium salt and frozen bloodworms. im trying bloodworms as they are not keeping the chicken liver down.
The fridge is at 8 deg atm, is that too cold?

S

sharn

isnt it a tablespoon per litre? i always get this confused, luckily i dont have to do salt baths very often so i can forget :p

S

sarah

ok they are in the fridge now. I put the lid on the container but i left a bit opend for air. they seem to me a bit more happy now, as after the first saltbath a lot of the fungus came off.
And they both are starting to eat the bloodworms, and keeping it down.

S

sarah

Im lucky that i caught it early, its better for me and them.
Tho, one of them have done a very large poo and it stank a little. I gave them a full water change but im not sure if its natural for their poo to stink.

A

alex

do you mean stink out of the water or in the water?. my axies poos stink when i siphon them out the tank. i think its natural.

S

sarah

ok they both just threw up their bloodworms,
But lots for the fungi has gone. They both have lost a lot of weight. is this normal when they have fungi?

S

sharn

may be throwing up due to stress, theyre in the fridge right? they may not be able to digest it quickly enough for it to not go rotten in their tummies because of the cold weather?

A

anne-marie

Hi Sarah,
I haven't been for a little while so maybe some-one has already addressed this but chicken liver is way too high in fat for axolotls. Raw chicken can carry salmonella so anything poultry is not recommended.

I wouldn't worry about feeding them while they're in the fridge. As Sharn said it would be too cold to digest food. Clear up the fungus first, then fatten them up.

S

sarah

ok. Im just a bit worried because they have both dropped weight so quickly.
I will stop using chicken liver for good.
The fungus is about gone, they are still in the fridge, and i am still doing 2 salt baths a day.
But i have noticed that my yellow one (tekno) is scratching its gills with his back legs. Any idea what it means?

K

kylie

my wild axie had that fluffy stuff all over her last week when i go back from hoilday she died on the 2/1/06
sad.gif
their was nothing i could do to save her.

S

sharn

that would have been fungus kylie- salt baths would have most likely cleared it up unless it was super bad... did you do them?

sarah- i noticed my axie scratched its gills once when the ammonia went super high, but this can also be caused by parasites itching them... im sure theres other reasons but these are the main two i hear of.

S

sarah

hmm ok, i dont check the water when they are in the tub for ammonia etc etc, because i end up changing the water everyday. The only chemical im adding to the water is stresscoat. should i add anything else?
Oh maybe some bloodworms got caught in the gills?

(Message edited by DVSGAL on January 12, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1