Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie hasn't eaten in ages....

J

j

Hi everyone....
I'm getting very concerned about my axie. He hasn't eaten for 7 weeks now.
Despite the fact that he hasn't been eating, he appears to be fine. He hasn't had excessive weight loss, he's very active, he hasn't changed colour and I can't see any signs of fungal problems etc. He swims around and acts the same as he always has.
I was feeding him a variety of foods - axolotl pellets, beef heart and meal worms - which he'd take right out of my hand as soon as I put it in the tank. Then almost 2 months ago he became completely uninterested in food. I've cleaned out the tank many times then checked the pH, temp and nitrate levels - all okay. I've offered him new food types and he still remains uninterested. I also thought perhaps the cold spring this year was to blame, but now it's summer and he still wont eat!
Also, he's in a tank with massive pebbles (bigger than his head) so he can't have one of those lodged in his throat.
What can I do? I've had axies for years and I've never had one refuse to eat for this long. I can't think of anything more to try.
Help!
Thanks!

J

jennifer

Cold is not to blame. I have 5 axies living at 9C (44F) right now, and they eat less, but they do still eat regularly. I would be more inclined to worry about him being too hot.

Regarding foods, have you tried frozen bloodworms or live earthworms? I would recommend them. Mealworms are rather crusty and are reputed to cause constipation.

7 weeks is a long time. I would say try to keep him cool and keep trying with foods. Hope he turns around.

J

jeff

Jen is right, bloodworms have a smell that most caudates can't ignore, same with earthworms. The problem sometimes is that when you drop them in the tank, they fall to the bottom and the axie might not find them untill they are yucky and starting to decompose, I have used things like tweezers and turkey basters to position the food the the path of the animal, but far enough away to not scare it. hope this helps/

C

cake

Did you pinch the heads off the mealworms? Apparently they can get lodged and cause a few scratches and things inside the stomach but you said he's acting normally apart from eating?

So he's not in cold or hot temperatures and you say he hasn't eaten pebbles and he hasn't eaten for 7 weeks and active but not losing weight?

That's odd...but yeah do what Jeff said and tempt him with some tasty morsels and dangle it infront of his nose..

and Jen, if he does have constipation, would that be any reason for him to stop eating? I'm not sure..

J

j

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions....
Cake: I have been removing the heads of the meal worms cause I heard they can clog up an axie.
Jen: I haven't tried earth worms, but I have tried bloodworms. I'll have to get some worms and see if my little guy is interested in them.
7 weeks is indeed a long time - I feel terrible.
Thanks again everyone....will keep trying and hopefully I'll have some good news
happy.gif

A

ashlee

hey, my axolotol is doing the same thing. i just recently lost one and now the other wont eat. i have tried everything from meal worms, bloodworms, garden worms, pallets, feeder fish and she still wont eat. the water temperature is perfect and so is the ph. i cant think of anything else to do and now im getting worried.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

J

jinny

What about the ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and hardness readings?

S

sharn

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>J Berry wrote on Sunday, 18 December, 2005 - 13:35 :</font>

"cleaned out the tank many times"<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

re-cycling maybe?

A

ashlee

Jinny Chieu: What about the ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and hardness readings?

I havent tested for that. would they cause any major problems to my axi?

S

sharn

ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all part of the cycling process, ammonia can burn your axies, not too sure about the effects of the others though.

take a sample down to your LFS and get them to test it for you, most will do it for free. get them to give you exact numbers, not just a 'theyre ok' answer

A

ashlee

i went and got the water tested and the numbers are perfect. i dont know what do to now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1