Help! My axie is being bullied and eaten!

J

jenn

<font color="ff6000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font> our little axolotl, Dion is getting seriously bullied! We think that it could be serious. His whole foot is chewed off and you can see the bones! on the other foot, his toes have been chewed off. He's not eating anything but seems active considering his foot...
sick.gif
i wondered if he is at risk of getting an infection or dying!
errr.gif
please reply asap because we love him really much... hes so cute!</font>}

What is the size difference between Dion and the other axolotls in the tank?
How large is the tank you have Dion and others in, how many axolotls all together?

I would seperate Dion immediately to be safe and give it salt baths twice daily to prevent infection of the wounds.

As Jarred asked, what size are the others compared to him? and How big is yoru tank and how many do you have in that tank?
You should have 1 axolotl per 12inch or 30 cm or walkable space. I would recomend 2 for a 2foot (60cm) tank and so on.

Quaratine Dion right away and place him in the fridge with fresh declorinated water adn do full water changes every day, if the fridge isnt an option put him in a small tank (about 30cmx30cm) and rotate ice packs, or 1-2l bottles filled with water, (not ice cubes, unless the ice cubes are made of decloninated water).

I would recoment melafix for about 7 days, but if thats not good for you salt baths are the best. Salt baths are 2-3 teaspoons of un-iodised salt ( salt from the fish shop works the best) per 2l of water and have him in that twice a day for 15 minutes.

DOnt worry too much Dion will regenerate him limbs in about 1-2months, as long as you take care of him, if an infection breaks out then you know your not taking good care of him. Remember they heal faster at cooler temps (around 15 degress c)

P.s remember not to let the temp if his in the fridge to drop below 5 degrees c.

another question, how big is dion compared to the other axolotls?.

stipe- just because a infection may break out doesnt mean hes not taking good care of dion, sometimes no matter how hard you try things still go wrong.

I would definately not use melafix on an axolotl that isn't showing any illness symptoms. Many axolotls get their limbs chewed off and regenerate them just fine without medication.

Sorry i didnt mean it that way, i ment that if he ignored him and kept him in bad conditions an infection may break out.

And i ment to say, use thre mela fix if and infection breaks out, sorry everyone.

hi everyone Dion's slightly smaller than our other 3 axies but not by much. The axies have always ignored him as though he isn't really one of them but they haven't ever picked on him. I wonder maybe we didn't feed him enough on the day...? We have put him in a container which is within the measurements you said and he is in a cooler tank than the other axies... i hope he gets well soon... do you think he'll start eating again? ps: on a happier note: our male golden bell frog finally has a new mate! Shes really beautiful!
rofl.gif

That sounds great, im trying to find a mate for my red-eye tree frog, his really fussy, lol.
I wish i could have a golden bell but here in Aus i need a class 2 licence and only have a class 1
sad.gif
, lol anywayz...

OH WOW! a license for frogs? anyone can walk into a petshop and buy them! i bought mine 4 10 dollars- i knew they were becoming extinct but still... licenses lol (sorry to all those out there who only want to talk axies) =) =) =)
ps: our froggys- we have 2- mated today! onbly 20 more days till tadpoles!

lol , know HEre in NSW they have some new law ( actualy it was stated in 1973), lol.
I think that aus is still pissed over the cane toad thing, plus the rabbits etc, they dont want any mroe pests. The biggest pain is that i have to keep a log book of every frog, thier sex, dimensions, food, any mutations, and deaths, new additons adn sales or any of my frogs. It gets kinda shitty. Plus we cant take frogs from the wild. The only place we can buy frogs is in south Aus and cabera, grrr.

Nice, i heard that they're hard to breed so goog job, also i got a m8 for my red-eye and they love each other, lol. Im going to post a pic of my set up in the frog set up soon if you wantto have a look at it (may be a couple of weels im still trying to make it look like a rain forest).

awesome.i wish that we could get diff kinds of frogs in nz. I thought golden bells were pests! we went to a farm when we were younger and got aobut a hundred tadpoles- all golden bell frogs and we raised four females. They didn't have any character though...pity. also *embarassed smile* i found out today that both the frogs are males lol and they thought eachother were females. They were attempting to mate with eachother. Luckily, the pet shop (who told us he was a she) has agreed to swap for a female golden bell which was the cuter of the two. how frustrating! I'd love to see a pic of ur lil froggys they sound cute. I'll post 1 of our frog greenstone and if you want, the male who we thought was a female too.
hope your frogs have a nice time in their enclosure. Do you have any good names for a female golden bell? Im stumped...=)

axolotl news: i put dion in the fridge 4 15mins.
51977.jpg

Heres the other frog, Sunny. He was the one witha mistaken identity. Poor thing lol. Axys are hungry better go feed them! Bye
51982.jpg

Okay guys, there is a frog forum on the board here, please use it..

As for permits, Here in NJ, USA I cannot own axolotls (or mudpuppies) as the local wildlife officials cannot distinguish between the locally endangered tiger salamander larva and an axolotl. I have to get a permit each year, and track all births, deaths, and anyother change in the census of my animals as well if necessary allow them to inspect my housing system.

Ed

Stipe I have deleted your post as you posted here despite the warning.
Any further off topic posts in this forum will result in those posts being deleted and the thread locked.
From the powers that be, there is a strong commitment to keeping the threads on topic to keep the forum useful to those people that come to the thread. It doesn't help anyone when they read a thread about Axolotls being bullied to discover that there is a significant amount of the thread covering pet frogs. This causes the forum to lose value and causes people to not use the forum. If people do not use the forum then there will no longer be a need for the forum. Keep the posts on topics.

Ed

Wow, Ed,
I find that very interesting. Inspect your home?
I saw my first mudpuppy the other day at a lfs in chinatown. it is the only district here in Seattle who house axolotls also, which I find interesting. Now I will look up to see if washington has tiger salamanders in the wild here. You are in NJ, and not PA ?

i think ed meant to say they inspect the animals housing, like the aquarium and stuff.

If you want to discuss permitting issues please start a new thread.
I work in PA at the Philadelphia Zoo's Reptile House and only recently moved to NJ from PA hence the listing for me in PA.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on January 16, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back