Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! I NEED HELP URGENTLY!

B

bubba

My axolotls leg recently disappeared so I assumed that my other axolotl had gotten hungry, and I thought "oh well it will grow back," but recently today I woke up and noticed that his other leg seemed as if it were decaying off. Is he sick? Should I separate him from my other axy? Help from anyone would deeply be appreciated.

-Bubba

J

jinny

Have you checked your temperature and the water quality (ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes)? If anything, water changes won't hurt, might help.
If you don't have a test kit, look into getting one, in the meantime, there are places that will test water for you for free.

Separating would be a good idea, giving your injured axie a chance to heal.

J

jennifer

Limbs can be chewed off, but they can also "rot" off. If it could be a hungry tankmate, separate them. If you think it's rot, then you need to think about water quality and temperature as likely culprits. How long has the tank been running? What's the temp?

B

bubba

I've had the tank for atleast 3 months and just last week or so the first leg came off, I'm going to go to the pet store later as you suggested to get a test kit. Do you think I should try a salt bath? Thanks for the suggestions.

-Bubba

B

bubba

52045.jpg

there is a picture of the leg I noticed something was wrong with

A

alex

i think you should give him a salt bath. i cant really see the pic that well is his whole leg still there and has just gone white or is that white stuff just hanging of?

B

bubba

the white stuff is just hanging off, but i also noticed that where his other leg used to be 9the first one he lost) is a little paw, so maybe its caused by stress? I'm going to try the salt bath tommorow morning cause I'm turning in now, night' everyone.

-Bubba

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1