Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Little white bits on axies legs& gills..

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
My axie has got little bits of white colour on her feet,which first appeared about 4 days ago. I am not able to see if these blots are 'furry' or not, they are so small. Size of 1-2 rice grains each. Now she has the white stuff also on 1 elbow, and 1 of her gills.She is a wild type in colour otherwise. What could this be? Sorry I haven't got a photo. Should I give her a salt bath twice a day? 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt to 2 liters of water? Do I take the water from her tank to which I add the salt to? Otherwise she is healthy and active, and eats normally. The water parametics (sorry, am not sure if I spelled that right) are very good. The temperature is between 17-19C.
Your replies are much appreciated in advance

(Message edited by SherriSixxx on December 31, 2005)

A

alex

its probably fungus, just give her salt baths and it will soon be gone.
happy.gif

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Thanx! She will be having salt baths! Where would she have got it from? Only thing I can think of is stress, as she is the only occupant of the tank now. She was with a pleco (fish), but I gave the pleco away about 4 days ago. Co-incidence? She got the fungus the same day the pleco left? Could she be stressed that I will give her away as well, or just feeling a bit lonely? Her tank water never gets more than 19C, and the ammonia is 0. Hmmm

A

alex

hmm thats weird!. did she fight with the pleco(eat it)?. oh well just keep up the salt baths that'll get rid of it.

S

sharn

fungus/other illnesses (please correct me if im wrong people) are generally bought on by a weakened immune system due to stress etc. maybe she bumped herself. keep up with the salt baths and see if it improves

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Thanx. Her white bits are nearly all gone now. But she is acting really strange and mad, I put that in another thread. And no, she never did fight with the pleco. They were fine with each other,never any probs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1