Mouth Disease...? Help me!

J

jodi

Hi. My axolotl was bought and given to me last week. She hasn't eaten in all that time and a couple of days ago i noticed that she had what looked to be a cut on her mouth. It was swollen, bruised and protruding. Yesterday however it looked like fungus was growing on the sore. So i salt bathed her last night. This morning however when i looked at her the sore looked like a cold sore that a human would get. PLease help me. Could it be mouth rot or just a fungal infection? Any information would be appreciated. What it is and how can I treat it. Thanks,
Jodi

was there anything she could have bumped herself on in the tank? just keep up with the salt baths for now, they do wonders for wounds.
i see your in auzzie so maybe the temp is the problem. alot of australians have problems keeping their water cool enough over summer so maybe using fans or ice bottles is worth a shot. if all else fails use the fridge.

Thanks for that Sharn. Her mouth is starting to look a bit better however I've moved her to the fridge because the other day she developed fungus on her gills. I've been salt bathing her twice a day. I have also been treating her water with an anti fungal and bacteria product 'Pimafix'. Do you know anything about this product and if it will help or make matters worse? She hasn't eaten in the two weeks that i've had her. However last night she tried to eat but I think opening her mouth hurt her and she gave up. Any tips on that would be great! Thanks Jodi

at the moment i would cut out the primafex, i cant remember if many people have used it with success or not. just use the salt baths and if you see no improvement then you can move on to harsher antibacterials.
bloodworms could be a goer with her sore mouth, theyre pretty small but remember they mess up the water quite a bit!

Thanks Sharn. When I put them in with her should i dice them up before hand or just give them to her whole?

if i were you id dice them up, just to make it easier on her sore.

Thanks for that Alex. Any size that I should be dicing them up into?

quaters. i had bloodworms and cutting them is very messy. if you have sand or anything other than gravel you could just drop the bloodworms into the tank, and let her sniff around untill she eventually finds them and eats them, that way they will all have defrosted and just be like in a pile. im not sure if that makes sense. its a very messy proccess though. bloodworms create a lot of mess. try wriggle them in front of her face a bit. i hope she gets better.
happy.gif

Hi Jodi,

Blood worms are pretty small... I would just cut them in half, and this should help. drop them right in front of her mouth. If she does not eat, then I would say after an hour remove the food.

When axolotls are in the fridge, they don't really need to eat. I think they can stay in the fridge without eating for up to 30 days... but I could be wrong about this. The cold water slows them down, so she might not eat, so don't be alarmed by this if she doesn't
happy.gif

Good luck, and let us know how she is doing.

Hi Rheann. Thanks for that. It looks like her mouth is getting worse. I took her out of the fridge today and put her in her tank. I have a feeling that being in a small container means that she's bumping her mouth on the sides and that doing more damage. Do you know any thing on force feeding. We had to open her mouth tonight and put a softened pellet in there. At the moment its still sitting in her mouth. I'm hoping it will go down soon. She's shrinking in size by a third since i received her about 2 and a bit weeks ago. I'm getting scared for her.

force feeding can be done but it does cause a fair bit of stress. all you have to do is get a syringe (minus the needle part) suck up some food (bloodworms or something mushy would work best), open her mouth and squirt it slowly at the side- squeezing it down could choke her or go down the whrong hole (do they even have a wrong hole to go down?)
its probably best to consult a vet about force feeding though- theyd have alot more experience and could guide you better than me!

Thanks. The she ended up spitting the pellet out. I'll have to hunt down a syringe. She's gotten so weak she's now really sluggish and slow with movements. Its getting scary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back