Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sterilise

M

melissa

i want to sterilise the containers before i put my axolotls in the fridge, my dad says to use milton anti bacterial tablets. is that ok, i started to put in and my hands smelt. would it still be ok? and even though a virus hasnt been ruled could it be put in the tank to kill the bacteria?

S

sharn

hmm you shouldnt need to sterilise them really.. unless they have had chemicals in them. give em a good wash with soapy water and make sure you wash it out thorougly- rinse rinse rinse! make sure you use food safe ones too.
you dont need to put anything in the tank at all- let alone chemicals unless its something like TB

E

edward

Actually you should not use soap on any container that are intended for use with an amphibian or fish as the soap can leave a residue that can irritate the animal even with a lot of rinsing.
It is a lot easier to use a bleach solution and then rinse with hot water several times and allow to air dry. This will disinfect the items and not leave any residue. If you need to use the container in a hurry, the container can be rinsed a couple times with hot water and then with any commercial aquarium dechlorinator.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!