Axolotl Aggression??

C

caitlyn

I have two axolotls, doug who is about 3-4 inches long and grumpy, who is 8-9. I put doug in grumpy's tank and grumpy ate both of his front legs! is this because doug is too small to be in the same tank? the tank is definately big enough (1400L tank, with just those two axolotls in it)

wow that is a big tank!. yip its just because grumpys bigger, they tend to be pretty cannibalistic when there young. i suggest getting a tank divider untill doug grows to about the same size and grumpy.its not because they're agressive creatures, its because there apitite! lol. often during feeding you'll find they accidentally nip at each other thinking its food(there eye sight is not great).

When doug is around 6 inches long should they be alright in the same tank? and yep, its huge lol, used to be a marine tank till i gave up on that as they are SO hard to maintain. Oh also, i am going on holiday and want to put both the axolotls in seperate tanks so my friend can look after them, i have a 40L tank and a 60L, is this alright?

yip it should be alright since there only small axies. when doug is almost the same size as grumpy you can put them together. make sure to keep an eye on dougs bitten of legs for fungus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back