Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White axie very red and sick please help

I

isobel

ok its christmas eve, i noticed that when i fed my to yesterday leushus didnt eat but he looked fine, today he is very red veins all shot, gills have shrunk, pooing white clear stuff, i have taken him out as issac seems fine and is busy eating things only he can see, the fridge is full as its christmas, but we have a barn but it could be low as 4c or bit higher or lower, i also have a pantry which wouldnt be as cold, which do you think, also do i give him salt bath his lovely clear fin has started disapearing as have his gills this has come on so quickly and very bad time as no shops open to get meds. i busy reading other threads but any help please would be great.

I

isobel

right so far i have read that below 5c is to cold so pantry it is i will try salt baths just once for 10mins until someone tells me otherwise, he is coming up for air and he seems quite stiff, didnt struggle when i got him out. is in fresh water now will change it in morning. i hope he doesnt die on christmas day
sad.gif
.......loooks like i going to have to stay sober this christmas and be a responsible parent.

E

edward

How long has the tank been set up with animals in it? Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and if so what are the levels?

Ed

A

alex

sometimes mine tend to go reddish when the heat gets higher, something to do with more blood curculation because motabalism speeds up. but yours sounds a lot worse, id just give 2 salt baths a day 10-15 minutes each salt bath. im sure someone else on this forum has had the same problem.

I

isobel

its been well over a month nearly 2, test kit yes i have the 5in one strips which seems fine. my other axie is fine dancing round tank eating pooing etc he has brown poo. leushus has white and clear jelly like poo. he desperate for air at mo. im sat watching him as not sure he going to make it.

I

isobel

alex hi yes he does normaly go a little red when fighting a worm or moving about alot but this is different i just hope i not done anything to cause it i lost measle about 2 weeks ago but he didnt have any ill signs. heat in england...well ha there isnt any its not far off - outside and we live in stone cottage so always cool no false heating just aga in kitchen and open fire in front room my room is quite cold.

I

isobel

just been having good look round tank looking for signs of ill health and at the back where my plants are there are lots and i mean lots of EGGS now before i have complete break down can any body post me a pic of snail eggs as i have snails in tank not that i want them or could the ghost shrimp be busy, they look like air bubbles covered in jelly stuff stuck to plants, leushus loving his salt bath been swimming round could he be ill and stressed cause of egg laying is he a she? cant post pic as mem card stuck in puta

A

alex

could it be the axies eggs, maybe leushus is a she and just layed eggs and is very stressed and the white poo could just be residue stuff from the outer layer of the eggs? he/she could be bright red due to the high amount of blood flow needed to lay eggs? but if they were axie eggs you would most likely no, unless u have never seen a picture of them check out some other forums. im glad to hear he/shes liking her/his salt baths. is leushus looking healthier after the salt bath, what about eating, is leushus still eating fine, often when they are sick they will stop eating. hope i helped!, merry xmas too.

J

joan

The 5-in-1 strips are poo. Ditch them and get a dry-tab kit. These are more accurate and have a longer shelf life.

If Leushus was plump a few days ago, and showed no signs of a swollen cloaca, and is now not so plump and still doesn't have a swollen cloaca, he could very well be a she.

Snail eggs tend to look a lot like axolotl eggs. Remove them, and hatch a couple and see what they are.

Good luck with the salt baths. You don't have to keep him at 5C, but anywhere cooler than normal would be best until Leushus improves.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If it is axy eggs they can play havoc on water quality. After my axies lay eggs I always do a good filter cleaning, tank debris cleaning , and big partial water change. I think all of that biomass in the water increases the ammonia and of course clogs the filter a little.

White axies tend to get a little pink at times. They can be pink and in fine health. It can also be a sign of ill health. You have to learn how to read your axolotls signals. Normally I don't recommend handling them. If you do pick up a questionable axolotl and it's skin feels sticky it is a sign of health problems.

I

isobel

thanks for all the posts, i have taken eggs out, he still very red and his lovely clear fin has nearly all gone his gills have stayed same though with the baths everytime i get him out to put him in more white fungus has come off i also removing what i can off him he not eating but not to worried about it as he was a good size for his age, he reacting to my finger in front of him.in my tank there are 100s of tiny white worm things on glass and floating round in water, my other axi issac is black and looks fine but as leushus went down hill so fast i not sure what to do, should i completely restart tank giving everything a good clean or just leave i did 40% water change when i took leushus out yesterdaythe plant with the eggs on was dead round base and was quite smelly, slight green tinge to water, though i understand this could be to do with the live plants. im concerned that live is causing issues and maybe i should remove all and just have fake ones. to be honest i thinking of completely cleaning tank recycle it and keep boys in tubs till done again, would rather be safe than sorry, my 2 ghost shrimp seem fine. what do the test things i need look like the ones i had where in a tube with the results levels round out side.
sad.gif
so sad leushus looks awful. also the filter came with tank that was given to me so it had been cycled water was taken out when i went to get it could the filter of been holding nasties as it was snails as there was no sign of snails when i picked it up,

I

isobel

any advise he just floating and keeps curling up, salt baths seemed to be working on fungus but he still red and stiff. i can get to pet store tomorrow any recomended meds i could get
uhoh.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1