Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Health neaded quicly

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
my axelotl is very swollen, duoble the normal size. she cant walk. when see tries to walk the whole of her backend (backlegs and tail)are flowting straight to towards the surfice of water. She only walks with front legs. I am terrible worried. Does anybody to know how to help her. Is This serious?

J

jasmine

do you have stones in your tank? do you have any pictures?

S

sharn

a dude on here was telling us a few days ago about his axie being bloated. someone said it was normally due to organ failure
sad.gif
and if it is she doesnt have long to live *sorry for bringing bad news*. a picture would definatly help
put her in the fridge for now, it will help keep her nice and calm while we try to figure out a way to help you. do you know of any vets with axie experience around your way?

J

jennifer

Put her in shallow water (walking depth), so that the floating is less stressful. Keep her cool.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hi! The first post was written by my mum, as directed to her on the phone by me, as I wasn't on the net! After reading some other posts, thought it may be air bubble. So axi has been getting tummy massages, which seems to have helped a bit. She did a huge floating poo!After which her back legs and tail were less in the air! Yippee! But in the evening she was getting lighter again,huh. But another result this morning!!After another tummy massage, she did another huge poo, and now she can nearly get her back part to the ground. So I am trying to be really hopeful that it is only air, which we will manage to get out.Do you think thats the case? I could't cope if anything were to happen to her..So really hope it's not organ failure..
Another thing, she always eats food that is meant for my pleco(fish). These pellets are mainly algae etc vegetarian. Could this wrong type of food caused her problems? As axolotls are not vegetarian?
Very grateful for your replies!

J

joan

Mine float when they need to do a poo.

I wouldn't keep a pleco in with an axolotl, and this food very well could be causing problems for your axolotl, mainly that it's not digestible in their stomach and needs to be passed out in much the same form that it came in.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Am very glad to report that she is walking normally now!Yippee!!Am sooo happy! Was worried sick! She did lots of huge poo-poos, and is walking normally again!She is still very quiet and not as active as usual, but I quess her bum might hurt,ouch.
And yes, I think it's very possible my pleco's algae-biscuits may have been the cause, so I am going to give my pleco away.

So my next question is: Does anybody in London, Uk area want a pleco? He is a handsome common pleco, about 7" long. He is very shy and clean.Please lemme know as soon as possible if you have a spare tank to give him a good home :)

J

jasmine

Yay!!! congratulations, its such a huge relief when something seems so huge and worries you sick, but turns out to be a simple issue that takes care of its self... you deserve to kick back and relax now after a scare like that!!! well done matey!! i just went through the same ordeal, stewy passed 27 stones in 3 days... i still don't know how they all fit in his little tummy! now all that gravel is gone for good. but i know just how helpless it feels to have your baby triple in size and not able to walk... give yourself a lolly...
proud.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1