Bending gills

S

sarah

I have my babies in a blue tub as my tank work has stopped, as i was givin the wrong sand, and now the shop is closed for 3 days.
I noticed today that the gills go straight up and then the tips curve forward, so it kinda looks like an upside down L...Is that because there is no air pumping in the tub?

normally thats because of stress caused by too much water flow.

hmmm, but there is no water flowing in the tub
dizzy.gif

hmmm, that interesting maybe is a sign of stress from heat, i thought that bent gills were only a sign of water flow, thats interesting. maybe stressing because of the new environment he,shes been put in. i wouldnt worry to much about it, just keep an eye out for fungus or other desieses as axies are more prone to desieses when under stress. thats weird though because i dont know what could be stressing him/her.

Very young axolotls tend to have longer gills that may curve slightly one way or another. Bent gills are usually a sign of stress in older axolotls. How old are your axolotls, and what do you mean by 'wrong sand'? Have you taken them off this substrate, or are they still on it?

im not sure how old they are as they were passed down to me by a neighbour, and my neighbour bought them from a market 6 weeks ago. the temp is sitting at 17 degrees.
I bought sand that you would find in sandpits and i was told that the sand is 100% clean. i washed it for one lastime and the water turned out to be dirty and stinky. im trying to take out the mud that it left on the bottom of the tank. So my babies never got to touch the sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back