Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie trying to eat but isnt successful...

M

matthew

We've had our axie for about 5 days now, when we set him in his tank we didn't realize it was acidic... he vomited his food that night. The next day we got a PH tester and bought the water to 7.4-7.6ish, on friday he ate without vomitting. But now he is shedding his skin, which i understand is from the acidic water, but now he seems to try and eat but can not digest... he attempts to eat it but brings it up straight away, this has been happening for a few days now... is this normal for a axie thats been sick???

S

sharn

what was your ph before you adjusted it? the axolotl site says they can handle a ph of 6.5-8.0. those ph up and down things cause way more harm than good for all but the super experienced. did you cycle your tank?, although it shouldnt have started yet it will only cause more problems later on if you havent. have a read of www.axolotl.org if you havent already :D

C

cake

Ok so he was vomiting as soon as you had given him his food that same day you got him? Because he may have come like that. Swallowing pebbles can cause them to vomit shortly after eating. Do you know if it came froma tank with pebbles in it?

Also 5 days isn't to much to worry about, keep giving him food and if he doesn't settle down then there are many other possiblities that might be wrong such as an internal bacterial type problem.

Perhaps if he still doesn't come right then put him in the fridge.

(Message edited by Cake on December 19, 2005)

M

matthew

the ph level was at 6, i think... when we put it down its been 7.4-7.6 since... do you think this is causing it?
he has eaten without throwing up once... we're just a bit worried, it seems like he can't digest it because he brings it up instantly. we think it may be that he swallowed some pebbles... if this is the case, how long before he returns back to normal??

Thanks guys

J

joan

If he's refusing food immediately, are you sure he's not just spitting it out? Some animals will refuse compost worms due to their noxious secretions.

I'd also stop using any pH up or down solutions, as wild swings in pH are more dangerous than a low or high pH.

If you think he's swallowed pebbles, stick him in the fridge for a few days and see if he passes any of them.

C

cake

If he's swallowed pebbles best to put them in a small clear tank type thing and see if they pass anything. Sometimes people put their axolotls in the fridge to help with any gas build up if there are bits of gravel stuck in it. The low temperature can stop them from stressing too. There are plenty of threads here to say what to do if you are wanting to put it in the fridge ok?

andrew

Reaction score
I don't think he's swallowed a pebble. Normally they stop eating all together if they have rocks inside.

Why was your PH down to 6?? Surely that is not what your tap water is.

What have you got in your tank? Rotting plants and things will drop your PH.

If you want your axie to keep its food down, I suggest you try feeding it small things in the "Treat" variety of foods.

I would try it on some live crickets, one of the small ones, or prawns should work well. Only feed small amounts probably 12 hours apart.

I think you'll find your axie is still sick from being burnt by the acidic water. If he gets any worse the fridge may be the best option.

Putting your axie in the fridge often buys them the time they need to heal without starving to death.

J

jennifer

Matthew, what product did you use to change the pH? And have you continued to test it? Some products work, some are outright dangerous. Buffers are OK, but those "up" and "down" solutions are not. Adding limestone or shells to the tank will help.

And have you tested for ammonia too? That's another possible culprit.

J

jessmaher

One of my axolotl had fungi and i dont know if its still got it as it is a light colour and it is not eating.... it is also lieing on its side.... how do i get it to eat.... its still moving a little but not much

S

sharn

hi jessmaher, the fungus will be furry like. put in in the fridge immediatly in a food safe container. putting them in fridge slows down their metabolism which in turn slows down bacteria spreading to buy you more time. it also destresses them as they love cooler water!
put enough water in so his feet can touch the bottom and place a lid on. wrap this in a towel and place it in the fridge. the point of the towel is to stop him going mental from the lights going on and off and to lessen temperature spikes from opeing and closing the door.
how long has it been since he last ate?

if he indeed has a fungus you need to start salt baths. one tablespoon to one litre of tank water (tank water is used so its the same temp) when he is in the fridge make sure when you do salt baths (2-3 times daily) that it is the same temp, best to keep a spare bottle in the fridge for these purposes. also make sure you use dechlorinator. you need to change his water completely once a day- do not use his water for salt baths, move him into another container for that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!