Axie needs to poop...i think?!

L

laura

Hey guys, my axie hasn't eaten for aged (about 1 week now, if not more). There is large blue gravel in the tank, which i think is too big to eat, but given his appetite, im not sure that it would stop him. How can i help?! He was trying to poop this morning and the long white string was coming out, but it appeared as though he was trying to get leverage by putting his hind legs against the drift wood in the tank and the side of the glass he was nearest too. He seemed really uncomfortable, but about 30 mins later had calmed down, but still wont eat. Any ideas?!

fridge is your best bet. it gives them time to poop without them becoming overly hungry. youd be surprised at what they can fit in their mouths!
long white string poos is definatly not normal. axies that need to poo float sometimes aswell. im sure someone will be along soon to help you more (sorry!)

I suspect you really need to get rid of the gravel. Also, what was he eating before the problem? The fridge is probably the best bet. Alternatively, a bare-bottom container in a location that you can keep cool and dark.

he was eating some axie pellets from the pet store fine for about a month before this all started. He is more active today, but still refusing to eat. My parents aren't too keen on keeping him in the fridge. As an alternative, can i just keep him as dark as possible, and turn very few lights on, or do i really need him in the fridge for the temperature?

I had to work all day today but think that i will go and get him some sand tomorrow.

Well if you parents arn't too keen on the kitchen fridge you could always put him in a cooler with some icepacks, it would be better then nothing. The light level isn't as much concern as the temperature.

putting them in the fridge slows down their metabolism making them less hungry so he has time to poop his stones out without starving. and as jeff said, the cooler is better than nothing

I have had good experiences using coolers in the past. I find that with using ice packs you can keep the temperature steady at about 10C which makes it easier to get them to eat.

Most Fridges run at around 4-5C and i have found that Axies slow down too much at this temperature.

Of course there are pro's and con's for the cooler method, but i have found it better than the fridge. Just make sure you have cold water in the fridge to do water changes with.

To get the same temperature I mix the fridge water with straight tap water until the temperatures are the same.

Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back