Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A bit bloated?

N

nina

hey ive had my axi for 2-3 weeks now and he always ate his food, even begged for more when i had finished feeding him :p i think that he swallowed some gravel because his stomach is bloated but now the wierd thing is,hes been acting even more active then usual?! im not sure if hes okay or not because usually they would stop eating if they had a problem wouldn't they? or b less active or somthing... i know ure not supposed to touch them but i read in another blog to rub their tummy, so i did that and i found one spot were it feally really hard? i think thats the gravel... what should i do? im not allowed to keep him in the fridge tho :S

S

sharn

they dont always go off their food if theyve eaten gravel. tummy rubbing is to get rid of air. the fridge would really help him if he has passed gravel. alternativly you could keep him on sand (whatever your substrate is now?) or bare glass to see if he poops anything out

J

jennifer

Being overactive can be a sign of stress. Remove any gravel that is a swallow-able size. What are you feeding him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1