Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Legless axie

M

monica

I acquired an axie in very poor health. It doesnt have any of its limbs, the tip of his tail is missing, and 2 of it's gills on one side. I can see the bone sticking out on two of its limbs. It is horrible and hard to see. It does continue to eat. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Do you guys think this little guy has a chance?

H

hailz

keep an eye on him for any signs of fungus, i know when any of mine have been injured fungus usually gets to the sore. i'd just keep him in a container of cool water with water changes, it sounds like he just needs some time to heal if he is still eating and acting normal. Good luck with him, He sounds like a very lucky little guy to have you rescue him!
happy.gif

M

monica

Thanks Hailz.
happy.gif
Would placing him in the fridge be better for him? I was reading that they tend to heal faster if they are kept cool.

M

monica

ok he just threw up his meal...i guess he isnt eating normally....

M

monica

SOrry for posting so much...i'm really worried about this little guy. As for looking for fungus, his limbs have shreds of his flesh just hanging off and it's hard to see if he does have fungus or if it is just his loose skin....should i treat him for fungus anyways?

H

hailz

i'd give him a salt bath just to clean the wounds and put him in the fridge. If his leg has been attacked it will go flakey (like sunburnt skin that peels)and then prob fall off, thats what happened to mine when her leg was attacked. Dont worry to much about the fleshy bits, just make sure u change his water every day to get rid of them out of his water as they fall off. i dont really know if i am experienced enough to offer anymore advice, maybe if someone else can pitch in and give some more advice about the eating problem? keep us updated ok? good luck
happy.gif

S

sharn

yes put it in the fridge if your worried for her health(changing the water everyday) , also give it salt baths every day and put it straight back in the fridge. maybe do that for about a week just to keep the fungus at bay to give the wound a chance to cover up a bit. its probably quite stressed, so it probably doesnt want to eat. also while its in the fridge it wont be hungry, dont worry about this, they can go ages without food

M

monica

Here are some pictures of the poor guy. I know to have the new water the same temp as the one in the frige and I'm assuming the salt bath water as well? And keep him in there no longer than ten minutes, correct? He looks awfully skinny to me, will he be alright without eating? Should I still offer him food while he is in the fridge? And if I do, does he need to be placed out to 'warm' up for a bit? Is there a type of food that would be more nutritious and help him heal up faster than worms (that's what he is currently eating..or was)? Sorry for all the questions guys, I just want to see this little guy pull through.
44212.jpg
44213.jpg

J

joão

he needs something like a piece of ox heart to get some fat, or earthworms is also a good meal but fat free.

S

sharn

he does look slim but in the fridge being so cold slows their metabolism down. maybe offer him something high in fat (like tubifex worms) before he goes in the fridge.he has awesome colouring, you should be very proud of him!!

M

monica

Thanks to everyone for helping out. He's been in the fridge and getting his daily salt baths. There is no sign of fungus and he is not eating though I still offer him food. I'll keep you guys updated! THanks again.

C

cynthia

Monica - Don't warm him up when giving the salt baths. A change in temperature is stressful. Keep extra water in the fridge to use to salt bath him in so it is the same temperature.

Another option would be to keep the axolotl in a "light salt solution" instead of salt bathing him every day. This solution would be 1 teaspoon of salt in 2 liters of water.

It will not need to eat as much while it is in the fridge, but do offer it food each day when you are changing its water.

I would offer night crawlers, crickets, soft salmon pellets from IU, maybe a thin small sliver of fresh fish. Mammal meat is hard for them to digest.

M

monica

Thanks Cynthia. I've been keeping a salt bath solution in a pitcher in the fridge with him so it's the same temp. I notice there is a white fuzz on the tips of every sore he has and on his gills. I don't think this is looking very good. Do you think keeping him in a slight salt solution would be better than daily salt baths? I've been offering him night crawlers but I also have some black worms. I'm guessing the night crawlers would be better for him. I'll keep trying and hoping this little guy pulls through.

M

monica

Forgot to ask...how would he get in this horrible condition? He was kept in a tank with another one his same size. Is it possible the other attacked him? It just seems odd that it would get all four limbs, tail, and gills....

H

hayley-jane

Hi Monica,

Its most likely that the other axie attacked him, I've never heard of an axie's limbs just falling off on their own.

This white fuss, does it look like flaky skin or cotton wool?

If its flakey then chances are its just the old skin flaking off, but if its cotton wool like then it's fungus.

If it is fungus then you might have to go back to salt baths instead of a light salt solution all the time.

Do you have any pictures of the white fuss?

D

denise

your poor axie, ive never seen one in such poor health, hes a very pretty axie, shame about the damage. you should be very proud of yourself for rescuing him. all his wounds dont look very old. it sound like you are doing everything you can to help him and i hope he survives. good luck to you and your axie

M

monica

Hayley - it looks like a cottony fuzz over his wounds...a very thin layer. I think I'll stick to his salt baths unless I hear that a slight salt solution would be better for him. He still isnt eating and the fuzz seems to fall off in the salt baths--he looks better after his salt bath. His wounds are cleaning up. The bits of flesh that were hanging on have come off. I guess he just needs a little more time.

Denise-- Thanks so much. I hope he does make it though I'm starting to wonder if he will now that I see fungus on the poor little guy. He isn't very big. What a rough start for a little guy.

S

sharn

dont worry, keep up with those salt baths and he should pull through, i also rescued an axie who was nearly dead, he was covered in fungus, and his gills were falling off. i kept him in the fridge for a while and salt bathed him, i also noticed he looked much healthier after his baths. persitance is the key!

M

monica

This hurt dark little guy's gills are so short compared to the other axies I currently have. What determines gill lengths?
44557.jpg
44558.jpg

These two pictures are of the two of the four I have. Compared to the pictures of the hurt one I posted in earlier posts...the gills are totally different.

H

hayley-jane

Its part genetics and part enviromental conditions.

If the water is too warm the axie will grow large fluffy gills as there is less Oxygen in warm water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1