Millie's Gills Problem

H

hailz

Millie's Gills have gone a bit funny, The "fluffy" parts on her gills dont seem to be fluffy anymore. The fluffy bits are kinda grouped together in clumps..i thought maybe it could be some kind of fungus that has cause them to stick together in clumps but i cant see any evidence of fungus growth.i wanted to see what you guys think first,because i dont want to treat her with salt baths if i dont have to cause she gets very upset. she is still eating and the other axie she is with is fine. Has this happened to anyone before?

45221.jpg

hmmm that sort of looks like what happened to mine when it got burnt by ammonia (didnt know about cycling tanks back then). your tank is fully cycled isnt it? check all your water paremeters

ok will try to get to the pet shop to get the water checked, is there anything i can do for her? ive got her in fresh water at the moment and i've been changing it everyday, is there anything else? thanks heaps

sounds good to me. keep it well airated because her gills might not be at optimal performance at the moment
happy.gif

I had this problem a few months ago.
My tank is situated in a pretty sunny area, so to treat the algae that forms on the glass I used an algea-rid type product from our local pet shop.
No problems - until that bottle ran out, and I changed brands. Assuming that the same dosages should be given to treat the tank, I added the usual amount. About two hours later the gill 'fluffy bits' had shrivelled, they almost looked like they had melted.
As this was the only thing I had done out of the ordinary, I had a read of the instructions, only to find this particular brand was meant to be used much more sparingly.

Anyway, I did a half water change, and added two teaspoons of salt to the tank - one week later thay were as good as new.

It may be totally unrelated, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Reminder to self:
ALWAYS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Cheers

If your tank is cycled, you shouldn't get any ammonia unless there is an unknown decaying source such as a dieing plant, that the current bacteria levels cant handle.

How is your water hardness? Maybe the PH is dropping drastically overnight due to the water being too soft.

I could be on the wrong track here, just a couple of thoughts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back