Axie doesn use her back legs.

R

rebecca

my axie trillian doesn't seem to use her back legs at all,
i cant actually remember the last time she did, she used to live on gravel and seemed happier and perky but i switched to sand when i found this site and she was in the fridge and passed gravel, she still sometimes does pass gravel
but i was feeding her last night and she flipped over onto her side and could not get herself back up again,
she doesn't have very good balance and doesn't move around the tank much
any suggestions as to whats going on?

It sounds like an air bubble to me.. Is here hind leggs/area, sort of hovering over the bottom?

~John

nope, i know what that looks like, she just doesn't use her back legs,the sort of sit back against her body most of the time.
so she ends up resting on her tummy all the time

thanks anyway!

my axies sit on their tummies with their legs spread eagled but they do use them. it is wierd though, maybe shes just lazy and figures shed rather have 2 legs do all the work pulling her along than four lol

most of the time my guy rests on his tummy, using just his front legs to keep his head lifted. His hind legs he holds back, against his tail, kind of liked they're tucked back there. the other day i came in, and one of his hind legs was sticking straight up in the air. I used to think it was broken, or a malformation. Now i think he just uses em when trying to get to the top of the tank for air.

rebecca hannah - Since your axolotl is still passing gravel it may have an air pocket trapped in its gut or perhaps an infection.

Flipping over on the side and not being able to right itself is not normal.

How long has this been going on?

I would move it to the fridge until it shows progress in being able to right itself and acts more "normal".

she has never really used her back legs, i thought she was just lazy but she really freaked me out when she didnt right herself.
i dont know exactly how long its been going on a few weeks back she was in the fridge for gravel problems.
i will move her to the fridge and hope she improves.
thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back