Constant sore feet

A

amy

my axies seem to be having constant problems with their feet. 2 out of 3 of them in the same tank seem to have really sore feet. the skin literally peels off until you can see the bones and they gradually disintegrate until they have a stump. this has been going on for about 6 months with one of them but about 1-2 months ago another one in the same tank caught the foot eating disease. i quarentened one and added melafix to the water and it seemed fine. healed up a treat but as soon as he went back into his old tank his feet went sore again. ive read about this being caused by the build up of goop on plastic in the tank but ive made sure theres no plastic in the tank and its still going on. now ive transfurred them into a bigger tank, again with no plastic, its still going on!! water quality is fine, so is the temperature. any ideas?

Amy - The sore feet could mean that your substrate needs a good cleaning.

I would move them to separate containers and add a few drops of mercurochrome to the water.
See
http://axolotl.org/health.htm
for more info on using mercurochrome.

thanks cynthia. i think ill have to seperate them and add melafix. cant seem to get hold of mercurochrome here. think its banned or something. i just changed the substrate completely so it shouldnt be in dire need of a clean. i will give it one hell of a vacuum later on though

What substrate are you using? and where did you get it?

yup. still there. im using sand at the moment and was before i transfurred them to a bigger tank and changed the sand. i got both lots from the local fish shop. i have used gravel in the past and had no problems thinking about it.... could this be causing it then?

(Message edited by blinky000 on October 30, 2005)

(Message edited by blinky000 on October 30, 2005)

Amy - I wonder if the sand is too sharp, I have read in some fish forums that some sands are very sharp.

Do you remember the brand or type of sand you bought?

as far as i know it didnt really have a brand name. just a sack of sand. the soreness is on the top of the feet, the part not touching the sand. ill go back to fine gravel for a while and see how that goes. ill post up some pics hopefully tomorrow

well, i changed to gravel about 2 weeks ago. it seems to be getting no worse but no better either. i got some pics yesterday (sorry it took me so long. in the middle of exams at school). ill post them up later tonight provided i dont have too much revision.

Amy - I am looking forward to the pictures, it seems so odd that just the tops of their feet would be sore.

Just curious, what are your PH readings?

pH is 7.6 - 7.8

literally the second i posted that their feet were getting better, they got worse again. anyway, i found out the reason why. i did a scraping of some flesh that was hanging off one of their feet and i found costia, trichonia AND flukes!!! how on earth!? anyway, heres a pic of a foot. its usually 5 times worse than that.

url]

so at the moment im doing 100% water changes every 24 hours, the same as i did to get rid of the anchor worms they had.

sheesh! poor axies! i hope it gets better now you've found the culprits

can anyone tell me if the goldfish fluke med 'prazi' is safe for axies? its 100% safe for every other type of creature and it has a list of things that it shouldnt be used with and axies and amphibs in general arent one of them. has anyone tried it? i do have some newly hatched baby axies i could try it on but i would just feel guilty if it did cause them harm but i want a quick fix for my axies at the moment and to be honest i dont have any food for the babies, other than microworms, that i trust the source of and theyre probably going to die anyway. its just gonna be a case of trial and error i think but i would rather risk it with the babies than my adults. any ideas?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back