Sick Axie...Added product that had Malachite Green

M

mel

Sorry this will be long...I am writing about my son's axies' Tequlla(gold)we have had for 12 months and Sambuca(black) we got a week ago for his birthday. We housed them in a 4ft. tank and they seemed content. Sambuca is quite a bit smaller and we began to notice that some of his gills were missing on one side and he had fuzzy stuff on it. I added a product (a lot less then was recommended only 5ml to around 120ltr.)but after reading on this site I checked and sure enough it had malachite green and now Tequilla's not eating (unlike him) & Sambuca (who is small) and we are yet to see him eat much,isn't either. Anyway...after draining half the tank and replacing water, Tequilla's under one rock(not eating still) but Sambuca is floating. I really feel I've let my son down by adding this product...any suggestions..Please Help
sad.gif

Hi Mel,

Sorry you're having so many problems!

Are the levels in your tank okay?

If Sambuca is significantly smaller than Tequlla then it might be possible that Tequlla has had a nibble at Sambuca's gills. Have you noticed any fighting/biting? If yes then simply put in a tank divider.

The white fuzzy stuff you are talking about is called "Cotton Wool disease", well thats what its known as, I don't know it's official medical name. It can be treated easily with salt baths instead of medicines from pet stores.

Place the sick axolotl in a salt solution, thats 1 table spoon of salt per 2 litres of water for 10 minutes twice a day. Whilst s/he is not in the salt bath, the best place for her/him is in the fridge, so long as the temp isn't below 4C. The low temps in the fridge ensure that the fungus cannot grow, as it needs high temperatures to reproduce, giving the axolotl and the salt baths a chance of getting rid of it.

Whilst Sambuca has the fungus s/he needs to be quarentined from Tequlla. For the future, people on this site recommend that you quarentine new pets for 30 days to look for illness before introducing them to your tank and other pets.

Hope all that helps
happy.gif

<font color="119911"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Thanx Hayley for the advice. I have now placed Sambuca in Tequilla's old tank and he is no longer floating. He has lot a part of his leg and Tequilla and lost a few gills. I'll try the salt baths with Sambuca if he starts to float again. Thanx again,
Mel
smile9.gif
</font>}

Hi Mel,

The salt baths aren't for the floating, they are to get rid of the cotton wool disease.

If Sambuca still has white fuzzy stuff on his gills you need to continue with the salt baths
happy.gif

Keep us updated on their health
wink.gif

Mel - If your tank has a filter on it that holds carbon, I would add fresh carbon so it can clear the rest of the medication out of your tank.

There is a list of "safe" medications for axolotls at the bottom of this page http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

As Hayley said salt is safer and usually clears fungus. Just make sure you measure it carefully and time the salt bath so you don't damage the axolotls gills and skin.

sad.gif
Unfortunately Sambuca passed away today. After trying really hard to save him, I think he was too small to fight it. I have now started to treat Tequilla with Melafix and Pimafix(advised to me by an aquarium). We changed the filter to the smaller one while we are treating him. Does anyone think it would be better to place him back in his small tank whilst treating and give the larger one a thorough clean? Or should these treatments stop it from coming back. We now think that Sambuca was ill when we got him (1 week ago) and I just hope that Tequilla is stronger...my son is upset enough about Sambuca...couldn't imagine losing Tequilla. When (and if)my son is ready, we will be definately be quarantining any future axolotls before introducing them into the tank.

Thanks to all for your advice, and I would really appreciate what you all think about changing the tank.

Regards,Mel

<font color="ff0000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font></font>Sambuca passed away today from what seems to be cottonwool disease (after trying all suggestions). We had him 1 week (think was sick when we got him) and have had Tequilla a year. They were in the tank together for 5 days before we separated Sambuca from Tequilla (didn't know about quarantine
sick.gif
). Tequilla doesn't appear to have any fuzz on him, but has lost two of his gills. He hasn't eaten for 3 days now which is unlike him...always ate well. We had them in a 4ft tank which is now under half full, following aquarium advice we have treated tank with PimaFix and MelaFix...told was completely safe. Was wondering whether to place him in a smaller tank and give the big tank a thorough clean out, but don't want to stress him too much. My son is very anxious as these are his pets and Sambuca was a birthday present along with the 4ft tank...which feels like it's backfired on me. Any advice Please. Would post pic of him...but can't seem to get the hang of it.
Regards,
Mel

this message was moved from a new thread back to the original - sorry if things look a little out of order - cynthia

(Message edited by cynorita on November 21, 2005)

A quick question, how long has Tequilla been in the 4ft tank and how long has the 4ft tank been around?

this message was moved from a new thread back to the original - sorry if things look a little out of order - cynthia

Mel - I would stop using the pimafix and melafix, especially at the same time.

Using the mixture of both medications could be too much for him.

If anything I would use a light salt solution instead; 1 teaspoon of salt for every gallon of water for a few days.

I would move him to a food safe container (with lid) add fresh dechlorinated water and put him in the fridge. Keep his water clean and offer him food daily. Keep extra water in the fridge to change his water with so it is the same temperature.

I would keep him in the fridge until he starts to eat again.

How long has your new tank been set up? Was it cycled first?

I doubt that melafix is axolotl safe. I tried it once with poor results. You need to research cures and preventatives. Don't go by the pet store, manufacturers, and sometimes vets advice.

Cynthia - The tank has been set up for around 3 weeks (got it through ebay & too big to hide) my husband set it up with our son & Tequilla's been in it since then with no problems. Don't think they cycled it first(am unsure what that means and doubt my husband does - although he had an axolotl when he was younger). Sambuca we got as an added surprise for his birthday.

Should we add salt solution to the tank with Tequilla in it? Should we add holes to the container when he's in the fridge? And how long should we leave him in fridge, continuosly until he eats? Sorry about all the questions...but here's one more...should we give the tank a thorough clean out while he's in the fridge?

Sorry about creating another thread Cynthia...I am new to forums and wasn't sure to keep the same thread as Sambuca passed away.

Mel - I would suggest you remove Tequilla from the tank and move him to the fridge.

I would add the light salt solution to his water in the fridge for just a day or 2 day then return him back to fresh water in the fridge.

If you see fungus start on his nipped gills then give salt baths. (2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water for 10 - 12 min) Use the same temperature water that he is being kept in.

I would leave him in the fridge until he is eating again. Keep in mind the fridge can't save all axolotls but it isn't going to hurt him.

You do not need to punch holes in his container unless you feel you have to. Keep them smooth so if he jumps into the lid he will not cut himself. An ice cream bucket works well.

The toxic chemicals he has been exposed to along with possible disease from the new axolotl along with the new uncycled tank, and bitten off gills have stressed him badly if nothing else. He needs time to heal.

Please read this article on tank cycling
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
If your tank wasn't cycled and is 3 weeks in your axolotl has been possibly subjected to ammonia and nitrite. Both are not good for him, and could be contributing to his not eating.

If you need more information on tank cycling use google and you will find hundreds of articles.

Once your axolotl is out of the tank do not clean out your tank by removing water, instead I would recommend you go buy a fresh water test kit that will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. The kits that use drops have worked for me better than the dip strips.

Your tank will not be safe for your axolotl until it has cycled. The only way to know it has finished cycling is to test the water and watch it cycle through testing.

If you have the water from your old tank, I would add it to the new tank plus any ornaments and some of the substrate. If the old tank had a filter that hasn't dried out I would put that on the new tank as well. These items hold good bacteria and will help your new tank to "cycle".

It is best to keep all your messages about the same incident in the same thread. It makes it easier to follow for new people with a similar problem or for people who are interested in seeing how things turn out.

<font color="0000ff"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>Thanks to everyone for your help. We have placed Tequilla back in the small tank and have placed ice packs to keep the temp cold, we have also kept the room dark. My son didn't want to place him in the fridge. He is no worse (even seems a little better) still not eating though.

Regards, Mel</font>

Hi All,

Tequilla seemed to going really well and was even eating again until two days ago...he's stopped eating and the gills that looked like coming good seem to be losing frills again. Not sure how to add pics and it's hard to describe. There doesn't appear to be any fungus on him and we are still keeping the tank temp down. Any further advice would be really appreciated.
Mel

Hey Mel - im sorry about the loss of your axie.
Unfortunately the only advice l can give is how to add your pics so one of these guys can help you further.
As you post a message, next to that button is the "upload attachment" button. Save your pics separately, somewhere easy like your desktop. click "upload attachment" then click "browse". Find your desktop, click of your photo and then click "open". Then you will be back in the original "add image or attachment window" and you will see your file/photo, click "upload" and that it. Do this for each pic.

jojo

your son might not want to put him in there but it sounds like it may be the best place for him, especially if its bacterial... it will slow down the problem so we can try help you more

Hi all and thanks again....here are some pics of Tequilla, not too clear but best I could do. He ate last night which was great but still appears to be losing gills on one side. The other has got no worse than losing one which seems to be getting some frills on it's stump. Regards, Mel

49022.jpg
49023.jpg

now i cant really see but my goldens gills are alot less fluffy and the filaments themselves seem thinner than my others (wildtype and leucistic). i have never worried about it.
if he seems to be getting better id just keep up with what your doing.
one concern though- the gravel. this could be your problem, he may have eaten some and its blocked him up?

Sharn-We are planning to change gravel with slate and river rocks ASAP....learnt about this from this site
blush.gif
(we usually hand feed him). Here is a picture of Tequilla prior to the problems we are now experiencing.
Thanks,Mel

49079.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back