Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie eating but getting skinny

L

looby

hi,
my axolotl Shadow has started to get really skinny, but he is eating. only a couple of days ago he has become really sluggish. He swam to the top of the tank for air or something and then just fell back down on his back, and now when he eats, he throws it back again. I don't think it's the pebbles because they are really small and his eaten them before and pooped them out. Please help.

R

rob

need more info IE: if ur tank is cycled etc ?
have u tested ur water,PH-Nitrite-Nitrate-ammonia ?
water temp ?
but from what iv'e read here so far sounds like u should put him in a small container in the fridge
it doesnt sound good if he's falling down on his back
sad.gif
(so it's upside down)?
just read some of the other sick axie post and u'll see what to do regarding refrigeration

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
We need more info. How old is it? What are you feeding it? What temperature is it at. Are you positive it's an axolotl and not a morphing tiger? Eating pebbles and popping them out probably isn't good for it.
It's possible it could do this for awhile and suddenly get impacted.

L

looby

I don't know how old he is but i have had him for almost 5 months and he is 16cm long. I feed him blood worms, and the temp is at 16, but sometimes it says 30 and the water is cold so i am not sure. He dosen't look like he is morphing, and i haven't tested the ph levels.
I have another axie in a different tank, the same size and he seems fine.

C

cynthia

Looby - As Rob suggested you need to test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. A pet store will usually do this for you if you do not have a test kit.

You need an accurate thermometer and if you don't have a test kit I would suggest you buy one that will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

Since you know the axolotl eats gravel I would suggest you remove the gravel from the tank and replace it with sand or leave the floor bare.

I would suggest you move your axolotl to a small food safe container with lid (Like an ice cream bucket) with fresh dechlorinated water and put him in the fridge.

Cooling him down in the fridge may help him to recover. Keep his water clean and keep extra dechlorinated water in the fridge to change his water with. Offer it food daily, and leave it in the fridge until it starts eating again.

C

cynthia

Looby - I just read in another thread that your parents think the fridge will hurt your axolotl - it will not. Axolotls can not tolerate heat.

This link is to a newsletter from the axolotl colony scroll down to an article called "practical axolotl" it will explain more on how the fridge can help. http://www.indiana.edu/~axolotl/pdf/28small.pdf

it is in pdf form you need adobe reader to open it.

L

looby

Thanks everyone, i appreciate your help, i will put him in the fridge and test the ph levels then see what happens.

L

looby

oh no, is this normal i have put Shadow in the fridge for about half an hour now and he i think is still alive but is just frozen he doesn't want to move.

J

jordan

the fridge has lower temperatures which causes the axolotl's metabolism to slow down making him more slugish and not as hungry.

andrew

Reaction score
Small stones and feeding bloodworms really dosn't mix.

It wouldn't suprise me if your axie has quite a few small stones in various parts of its digestive system.

I would definatly put him in the fridge for at least a week, this will give him time to pass the stones without starving to death.

L

looby

Okay, i will do that, but since i have put him back in his tank he has just been sitting there with his mouth open. I am just wondering if after his been in the fridge do you just leave him out of the fridge to defrost or put him straight back in the tank?

L

looby

I was just wondering, if i leave shadow in the fridge for a week will he run out of Oxygen?????
dizzy.gif

C

casey

Looby, after an axolotl has been in the fridge you should leave him/her in the tub you had him in, but out on the bench or something, until the temperature rises to whatever is in the tank - so you're right in saying that he needs to defrost.

Shadow won't run out of oxygen in the fridge as the colder the water, the more oxygen there is. I don't know the scientific basis for this, but for example, my axies gills shrunk due to the fact that there was more oxygen in the water and she therefore didn't need to work so hard to take oxygen through her gills.

Changing the temperature, making it unstable is extremely stressful for axolotls. So you need to make a decision as to whether you are putting him in the fridge or not and stick to it, for as long as possible.

Hope this helps you.

R

rob

also make sure u keep a spare container of dechlorinated water in the fridge for his "daily"
water changes...

L

looby

Thanks guys for all your help.
I have to also say i only kept him in the fridge for about 4 days. Sorry. It's because he was sort of taking up too much room. But i am happy to say he pooped out about 3 pebbles and i put him in a smaller tank with no pebbles. He is now more active and has started to eat and act like his old self. Not so skinny either. Thanks guys so much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1