Help temprerture probz

N

nic

i live in australia and i just got a thermometre and it came up 22degrees Celcius should i be worried??? also my axxie keeps on floating plz help i dont want it to die!!

22 degrees is a wee bit high for them, but seeing as you are in australia i think your problems are just starting lol. you can try a fan faced down at the water surface or ice bottles used in rotation to lower it more if the fan doesnt help, but do be careful axies prefer warmer water the dramatic temperature fluctuations all the time. if you have the money invest in a tank cooler.
what are your water parameters? is your tank cycled?
sometimes they float when theyve gulped in a bit of air and can float for a couple of hours at the most probably, until they let it out but continuous floating can be a sign of underlying problems

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature till it gets above 24.

Aussie axolotls seem to tolerate the water a bit warmer, probably to generations of living in this climate.

A good site to check out for info on how to look after your axie is

http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

Fans installed above the tank will cool it by about 6 degrees, so are well worth the investment.

Hiya,

I find once the water gets to 23 degrees celcius my axolotls become agitated and start to grow a fungus, I like to keep them at 18 degree celcius (but I have a chiller and thats important in some parts of Australia)

Cheers

sarah

cool thanks i've bin using a fan and aircon and it now hovers around 20-22 he floats for a while and then just floats back down, i think i might get a cooler that sounds li,e the best option.

actuallymt tank for him is quite small....can u get small chillers and how mutch.

Chillers are quite pricey, I think they are about £200 here in the UK, dunno how much that is in Aus.

How big is your tank?

Its best to have 10-12 inches of floor space per axie.

In the winter I don't have a problem with the temp, but a few months back in the summer it was awful.

I had 2 shelves in the freezer just full of iced bottles.

Every 6 hours I had to change 3 melted ones for 3 frozen ones.

So long as you change them often enough the water temp shouldn't fluctuate.

If it gets too bad there is always the fridge.

I just bought a chiller and it cost me $620. That's for a 140 litre tank. You can get some which are ice-probes. Maybe have a look at that.

How big is the tank?

If you need to cool the tank by a few degrees you can cut a new top for half of your hood out of plexiglass or cut holes in your existing hood if it is plastic, and add one or two of these (or similar) fans.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31884;category_id=2259;pcid1=;pcid2=

I have one added to the top of my 40 gallon tank and it kept the temperature down to 64 degrees this past summer.

I have central air but the fan saved me a lot of money because I was able to let the house raise to 75F degrees and keep the axolotls under 70F degrees.

I cut a circle the size of the circular part of the fan in my hood and the fan blows straight down on the water. The fan is low voltage and very cheap to run.

i've just bin using a celing fan and air con every now and again and now it never gets above 20 degreess celcuis it may occasinaly but it stays there now

mt tank is 18inchesX12inchs and is quite high but i ony fill it up about 3/5hs of the way up and i dont have a covour on it at all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back