Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dead Axie- Jumped out of the tank....

A

ayraxia

This is my first post at this great forum for axie caregivers... My three month old Axie jumped out of the tank and found him somewhere between three to four hours after it jumped out...

At first, I thought it was the cat, yet I now realized that the very light plastic tank would have turned over if it was the cat whom taken the Axie out of the tank...

unfortunately, I tried to place it back in the small tank, seem to be doing well for a while, yet I can tell that it was losing consciousness by floating sideways...

Now, how often do Axies jump out of the tank??? Is this a common problem???

I am very heartbroken and feel guilty since I realized that I should have left it in a tank that had a lid on top... I want to make sure this never happens again, since I plan to caregive a new axie in the new future...

Thank you....

C

cynthia

Ayraxia - Sorry to hear about your axolotl. You should always keep a cover on any tank that is filled to near the top.

Some people only fill their tanks 1/2 - 3/4 from the top and use no lid. I feel safer with a lid no matter how much water is in the tank because even if the axolotl can't jump out things could fall into the tank.

Axolotls at times just sort of "spaz out" and will swim hard and fast into things or in some cases out onto the floor.

If you plan on getting a new axolotl in the future you may wish to read http://www.axolotl.org/
as well as looking back through the posts on this site.

S

sharn

sorry to hear about your loss Ayraxia, lovely name by the way

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1