White on gills...and feet!

S

suzanne

Hi all,

I'm a bit worried that little dude (pale golden albino) may have developed a little fungal infection. He has white on his gills and feet...He's always had this since the first day I brought him home, though after reading some of the posts I am concerned that maybe he shouldn't have this at all???
Should I give him salt baths just in case. Do I need to use aquarium salt or can I use regular?
PS. Sorry for the bad quality photo

47645.jpg

Suzanne - it could be just pigmentation. do the white patches look Fuzzy? Because if they don't then I would think it is just pigmentation. one of my golds has the same thing and the white patches are sort of shiney in a way too.

If your little guy has always had it, then I wouldn't worry too much, but if it is fuzzy, then yes, he will need a few salt baths and need to be placed in the fridge.

If you are concerned, salt baths is always a good idea.

I take it he/she is still eating ok?

Aquarium or rock salt (also the same as swimming pool salt)is better than regular table salt. Table salt contains anti clumping chemicals and some brands even contain trace amounts of iodine. So its safer to stick to the right stuff.

Is your tank cycled? if not the white stuff you are witnessing could possibly be flaking skin from ammonia burns.

From your picture he looks pretty healthy though.

Hope this helps.

Hi Andrew,

Yes my tank is cycled,Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates in a decent range.

He is eating really well, bit a pig actually! lol.

They don't look fuzzy just white. I'm thinking you might be right in that it could just be pigmentation.

If i get too worried, I'll get some aquarium salt and give him some baths, but while he still seems happy I'll let him be.

Thanks for you help

John, I don't see how you can make a definate diagnosis without a picture.

Suzanne, even my wildtypes have white or clear patches where the skin is thinner, such as on the tail or toes. Some of the patches are pretty big. As long as they're not fuzzy, you're probably okay. I recommend Doc's Wellness Salt if you have it down there.

Yes, from the picture you included, you can't really tell whether or not its fungal.

Its a golden albino right? well when i first got mine i didnt know that white blochy stuff on its skin was natural colouration and like i always to freaked out and gave it salt baths. so i recon its the normal color.

Suzanne LOL I just noticed last night the largest of my two gold Axolotls has loads of the white patches on the bottom side of his tale. He has them elsewhere but I didn't realize there lol.

Are you still worried about him? I wish I could get a good picture of my axolotl to show you but my camera isn't worth beans!
hat.gif

Rheann,

I think I'm just a stressy mum! lol. He seems perfectly happy so I'm not so worried now..since everyone has told me that it's probably just pigmentation...

I will keep an eye on him though just in case. My boyfriend tells me im too fussy and stressy but I'd rather be that than careless lol.

If the white starts migrating or getting worse he will be taking plenty of baths...
wacko.gif

Suzanne, I think it's great that you're noticing all these things. It definately pays to be observant. If it was a problem that you'd spotted, it's much easier to treat things in early stages than to wait until they become systemic.

Congrats on being a good axie mum.

Thanks Joan
happy.gif

I think of him as part of the family and would be devastated if anything bad was to happen to him.

Is that a hamster tube that he is hiding in? That's a great idea for a hiding place, Suzanne! They come in so many colors too, blue, pink, red, orange, yellow, green lol. It's like you change them out for the seasons too
lol.gif

lol...Yes it's a hampster tube. It's so cool cause he thinks he's hiding from everyone and doesn't realize we can see straight through it!

The hampster tube will not be moved into the new tank though, doesn't really match the colour scheme.....
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back