Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating axie after jumping out of tank

J

jamie

Hi, i was giving my axie a salt bath on Saturday, but he freaked out and jumped out of the container. After a very quick scream i picked him up as fast as i could and put him back in the tank. That afternoon he was alright but when i got home at night i found that he was floating. I woke up Sunday morning and he was back at the bottom, by the afternoon he was floating again and has been since, it's now Tuesday and i'm getting very worried. I've read the other posts that have dealt with axies jumping out of tanks but none of the axies had been floating. What is the best thing to do? Should i put him in a small container and place him in the fridge or just lower the water level in the tank. It's coming into summer here and the water temp is fluctuating quite a bit. As expected he is not eating. He has also lost a tank mate due to fungus, that's why he was having a salt bath- the salt bath has cleared the fungus, but now he is floating. What should i do?????

Jme

L

lisa

Floating can be caused by a few different things.
Is he just 'hanging' at the surface? Or is he trying to get to the bottom, but keeps floating back?
How far did he fall? It doesn't sound like the fall is too much to worry about. He was only out for a second, and if he didnt fall far he should be fine.
Is he taking air from the surface? Is he on his own in the tank? How warm is the tank? How long since he's eaten?
My axies will float after eating too much air (or sometimes for no obvious reason), they usually balance themselves within a day. They can also float due to a bacterial imbalance in the gut (gas build up). A bullied axie may also hang at the surface to "escape" the nasty axie.
In general I think stress also plays a part in their ability to "balance" themselves in the tank. He maybe just a little dazed and stressed, but after 3 days he should have sorted himself out. I think temp might be playing a part in this as well.
If he's trying to get to the bottom of the tank but cant stay down, they yes I think putting him in a shallow container of water will help him stress less. Axies are fine in tubs, as long as you change the water daily.
If your tank is having rapid temp fluctuations them the fridge might be worth considering too.
If he had fungus then keep up the salt baths, for a few more days. Just to make sure.
Hopefully he will eat soon. Good Luck.
happy.gif

J

jamie

Hi thanks for the post.
Firstly he is taking air from the surface he is a bit dopey doing this and is just floating there. He is the only one in the tank my other axie died last week. The fungus has all gone now and his skin is looking clear- it had been peeling, but ammonia and pH have all been sorted and everything is back to normal. The last time he ate would have been 3 days before he jumped out of the container. The water temp got as high as 25C the other day, but i've been putting frozen bottles to keep it cooler, it is now sitting at around 23C- i know this is still pretty warm.

K

keiran

My axie Bill is sort of floating at the moment too.

Basically his hind quarters (?) and tail are rising up until he is suspended vertically with his head at the bottom of the tank.

Yesterday my wife reported that he was floating but by the time I got home he seemed normal. Today he is doing it as well. I suspected a gas build up in his gut so I have cut his food down to quarter ration.

He does continually try to bring his back legs down which causes him to swim around constantly, so apart from the floating he is in control. I do worry that he will become tired and stressed.

At least I'm managing to keep the water temp down to about 21 C.

Also I have seen him burp about three bubbles since I got home today.

Hang on! Just turned around and he is sitting normally, four legs on the ground, gills back, tail straight. Calm.

L

lisa

It sounds like he's stressed from all the recent "turmoil" he's been going through. The water temp could be a little lower, but I know what it's like trying to keep it cool.
The fact he's been floating for quite a few days now makes me worry there might be something else. You mentioned that ammonia and ph are fine. What about nitrite and nitrate? Have you just set up your tank? If so then there may be other chemicals in the tank other than ammonia which are stressing your axie. Read this if you havent already; http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
the fridge might be a good idea at this point.
Put him in a container, 2ltr ice cream containers are great. Make sure you have a lid. Use fresh dechlorinated water, and just enough to cover him, so he can get his feet on the ground.
You will need to change his water daily. Keep a container of fresh dechlorinated water in the fridge for this purpose.
You can offer him food, but he most likely wont eat while he's in the fridge.
After 2 - 3 day take his container out and let him warm to room temperature. Offer him some food and hopefully he will eat. And hopefully he wont be floating.

J

jamie

Last Friday-3days ago, he came down and found his feet. But he hasn't eaten anything. I offered him food on Friday and wasn't interested at all, on the following days he has turned his head and moved towards the food but has not taken any. Will it take him a while to build up his appetite or try for food? He hasn't eaten in about a week. He is usually very greedy and used to be quite happy eating every 3rd day, he's never gone this long without food. Any help would be appreciated.

J

jamie

Yeah he only eats when i hand feed. I used to try dropping the pellets in front of him but he didn't like that.

J

jamie

Yeah he finally started eating and is looking much better. Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1