Oh no!!

jessica

Reaction score
Display Name
Jessica J. Miller
I just got my baby axi a few hours ago and already I am very worried. All I've done is try to feed him a few worms (which got away from him) and all of a sudden, he got a big red spot on the side of him! (it looks internal) Is there something wrong? He still seems to be swimming around and exploring, which is good. I tried to take a picture of him so you know what I'm talking about:
46800.jpg

Wow! that is bright red!

I would have said it could possibly be the axie has just turned red - as they sometimes do if they're stressed or feeding, or I would have said that it was the food in his tummy, but that colour looks way to bright to be either of those things, and looks more like something internal.

Is it actually that bright in real life or is it just the picture?

Wait for one of the experts to come on the forum - they will be able to give you some good advice - sorry I can't help.

It's really that bright and it's only on one side of him. It appeared really fast too, I watched it happen.

What sort of worms did you feed him?

Maybe if it was something too big, it might have damaged something.

Sorry that I can't help you more, I'm sure someone will be able to give you some useful advice as to what you should do.

It was a little earthworm and I just cut off a little snippet of the end and dropped it in. It was quite a struggle, but it eventually wiggled back out of his mouth. I can't believe I already managed to (maybe) damage my little guy. He's still swimming around though.

How big is the little guy? COuld the worm have done something?

He's only about an inch long. Gosh, I'm so worried!! >_<

im lost as to what could have happened. Is he still swimming and doing alright or is the spot affecting him?

Quick update: He also just came to the surface and stopped moving, so I poked him a little and he didn't respond. I was sure he was dead so I went wailing to my roommate who came over and blew on him, and he started swimming around again. She then told me to stop worrying, but I can't help it!

That sounds quite serious. Put him in the fridge, to calm him down a little bit. I can't think of what that could possibly be.

Jessica, All that red spot is is his liver. There is nothing to worry about. When Axolotls are that small they are very transparent.

My baby white Axolotl looks exactly the same way and so does my baby gold axolotl and everyone one else's baby axolotls at that size and smaller. If he came from Ward's, they took good care of your little guy. That is where mine is from.

Trust me, it is just his liver and there is nothing to worry about.

maybe, but she said it was floating, not moving, so she poked him and he didn't move. That sounds wierd to me.

Thanks Rheann, that makes me feel a lot better (about my axolotl and me as a pet owner, hehe). And Jordan: He did respond when my roommate blew on the water by him. He's just sitting at the bottom of the tank now, but I think I'll just let him be.

Not necessarily, Jordan.

Martini was at the top of the water the other day and I gently touched her head and she didn't move, but when I blew on the water near her she went swimming around really quickly - I think that axies can feel vibrations in the water more so than they can feel something touch them - or it worries them more when they feel vibrations in the water.

I'm glad Rheann came on here to sort it out - Thanks!

Jordan, my baby Axolotl do this too. All Axolotls at some point in their life do the "free float thing". It's just part of natural Axolotl behavior
happy.gif

Bort does the free float thing a lot. I worried over it once, I poked him and he didn't respond. The second time I poked him he freaked out and darted all over in the water lol. I think they are either asleep when they do that or day dreaming, who knows lol.

Jessica, your little guy looks almost like my baby Little Boots!

Does your have a lot of black freckles? Mine seems to have a lot and he has the gold eye rings just like yours
happy.gif

It makes me wonder what he will look like when he gets older.

glad your cute tiny baby is ok
happy.gif

i know how it feels im such a clucky paranoid mum over my axie baby

Yours looks like my guy did way back when (april, hee hee). And the reason i got him was because he was see through! Acheron is about 8 months old now, and every now and then, i can STILL see his liver. And mine did the free floating thing too, only belly up. Man did that freak me out, lol. He had gotten an air bubble in his stomach and flipped over. Only the current was too strong at the time, so he was at the surface of my tank swirling around and around and around.... it was a very long night, lol.
errr.gif

Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back