Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP my axolotls has no mane will he surive

C

cezza

i was feeding my ax feeder fish but the last lot i bought are rather large, he wasnt really eating them so i started using pellets agian for him, tonight when i got home he was hiding (not like him when i am home he always watchers me) well i notice his mane was gone and one of the fish was bithing at him, i got all the fish out, he still alive but please someone can he surive with out his mane will it grow back. what can i do to make him better he's my baby life wouldnt be the same with out hiM

A

alexis

hey, wouldnt worry too much, axis are amazing creatures at surviving things like that, they should grow back in time, next time you get him some live fish try some little minnows, they r gr8, n really small.

C

cynthia

Cezza - By "mane" do you mean his gills on the side of its head or the fin that runs down its back?

Fish should never be left in the tank with axolotls, as fish nipping an axolotl is common. I trust you have removed all the fish from the tank?

You will want to watch for signs of fungus on the damaged area. You may want to give the axolotl a few salt baths.

A salt bath is 2 teaspoons of salt dissolved in 2 liters of water. Soak the axolotl for no longer than 10 minutes. You can give salt baths twice a day.

If the axolotl is badly damaged I would recommend putting it in a food safe container with lid (like an ice cream bucket) and putting it in the fridge.

Keep extra water in the fridge to change its water with so you have water that is the same temperature. Keep its water clean and offer it food daily.

You may want to tape the light switch down in the fridge or cover the container with a towel so the light does not frighten the axolotl.

I do not recommend using feeder fish from a pet store. Feeder fish are not usually taken care of well and can carry parasites and other problems that can be spread to your axolotl. If you feel you need to feed live fish I would recommend you grow your own at home to help insure they are parasite free.

There are many foods that axolotls will usually accept; earthworms, crickets, axolotl pellets, salmon pellets, grasshoppers, slivers of fresh fish fillets etc. All of them much safer than live fish.

If you have not already found it you may want to visit caudatas sister site http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm it is a must read for axolotl owners.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1