Hypochondriac

M

maja

i have had my axies for a lil over a month now, the temp is a little above 20c )
one of my axies is healthy and theres never anything wrong, shes all normal, she have never floated and refused to eat..
hat.gif

but then theres my other axie, he almost always floats al least one day a week, he dont look sick or anything like that, he just floats.. its used to stop when i feed them but this time he didnt stop so now he has been in the fridge for severel hours, and one of his legs was stil floating, im gonna check him soon and hopes his not floating anymore..

What are you feeding them? if their is some sort of problem with the food it could be giving him gas
crazy.gif
rub his belly, he might burp.

What do you mean one of his legs is floating? If you mean that when they're in the water, their legs are sticking straight out from their body, that's normal. Floating is when the axolotl (the whole axolotl) is at the surface of the tank and cannot get back down to the bottom due to gas trapped in their body.

do you have a air stone or anything like that in your tank?

sometimes when they gulp air they stay at the top until they release it...

-i feed them nightcrawlers, and shrimps at the time.. can i really rub them ?
shocked.gif
didnt know that !

- he cant stay down, and sometimes his legs are right up like they also "float" or cant stay down..

- i dont have a airstone, i had one once, but i will use it in my big tank for some fishes.. they loved to "eat" the bubbles..
hat.gif

my bobo is doing this too. he has an air stone in with him and julie is fine he has no other problems he just seems to get stuck there. are you sure you can touch them? any otherway of getting the air out?

i dont like the thought of rubbing them, what if i harm him,!
but if i should, then what should i do ? hold him underwater and then what ?
shocked.gif

ohh i know when theyre hangin out.. i have seen that before, but his prob is that he cant stay down.. he can touch the ground but he cant get all down..

btw, hes all fine now, but im sure he´ll start doing that in a day or two..

It could just be gas buildup. I didn't catch how often/how much you're feeding. If you're feeding them too often, they may not be able to digest the food fast enough, making the rear end float up a bit. Usually this stops after a good poo. As long as he can get some of his legs on the floor, I wouldn't worry. If he's stuck at the surface and can't get down to the substrate then I'd worry. Mine often just have their front legs on the ground with their back legs all akimbo. They're very buoyant.

i´ve began to feed them almost every day, - 2days. only one time.. he isnt stuck at the surface, he just can stay all down..

did anyone knew anything about the rubbing thing ? or should i just leave that for them selves ?

How old are they? I wouldn't feed them every day unless they're still very young.

Rubbing of the belly gently is known to get rid of gas bubbles, but if yours isn't floating at the surface, then it's probably not a gas bubble that is keeping him afloat.

they´re still young, they were about 12cm long some time ago, but i think they have grown a little..

Maja - the axolotl who has problems staying at the bottom of the tank could possibly benefit from spending time in the fridge.

If you decide to try that;
Use a food safe container with lid. Put in enough fresh dechlorinated water to just cover the axolotl this will help it retain its footing.

I would leave it there for at least 2 or 3 days after it can get all 4 feet down without floating.

Keep its water clean and offer it food daily.

Keep water in the fridge to change its water with so it is the same temperature.

thanks for the help. he has not been floating for a long time now :D it helped that day i putted him in the fridge..

btw, i found out they have grown to about 15cm !!!! :D my "babies" arent that lil anymore
love.gif

i found out he starts to "float" / cant stay down, when i feed them earthworms, but that should be so good to feed them.. what shall i do ? feed one of them earthworms, and the other something else ?.. - like what ? is there anything as good as these worms ? ..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back