Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Purple gills?

M

melanie

Hi I never posted here, i just found the website today. well i have a few axolotls here i bought from a reputable vendor a few weeks ago. One of the white males i have his gills are purple, not the actual frilly things, but the stump of skin they are attached to. I cant remember what the color of them were when i got them, but I know they werent purple. I keep him in a small tank with some rocks and a hiding space for him. any ides why purple?

J

jordan

could you possibly post a picture cause that would help everybody to understand more of what you're saying. GOOD LUCK!

S

sharn

purple would probably be due to heaps of blood in the gills. is your water really warm? also if its a wildtype its normal (in the lighter ones). i think cynthia had a pic of her wildtype ages ago and it had purple gills, but nothing was wrong it. if you search back a while in the gallery you should find a post called 'good hair day'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1