Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats wrong with her

S

shane

my axie has like a red rash on her two front lets an one of them i facing up i will try to get pic

S

shane

is some thing wrong with her please help

43793.jpg
43794.jpg
43795.jpg

J

joão

It seems like your axie has been in a fight, it looks like a bite. Search the forum for soars.

S

stipe

you can realy see that gud but it looks life her viens are brighter. anyway try giving her a salt bath. thats 2 tea spoons of salt in 2L of water. leave her in there for 10-15 min. try that for 3 days once a day and post back if it she gets beter.

S

stipe

hey by the way does she usualy swim with her front leg back like that. if not i would definitly say she had a fight or scratched herself against a rock etc.
any way take my advice and try the salt bath is she isnt beter then ask your vet. they are really gud at self healing so it shouldn't be a problem

C

cynthia

shane - it does look like it was possibly bitten by your other axolotl.

How long have they been living together?

You may want to feed them more or more often and offer more hiding places.

If they continue to damage each other you might want to put in a tank divider.

Keep a close eye on the leg and let us know if it changes.

A few salt baths will help keep fungus out of the wound. 2 teaspoons of salt (well dissolved) in 2 liters of water for 10 min.

S

shane

umm i not sure how long they been together like i had her nearly a year but the other i like a month or two

J

joão

It might be my eyes , but isn´t that tank too small for them?

S

shane

i took her out for a bath and she went red and ended up dieing
now the other black one has a broken leg as well so the yellow one is crewl

R

rheann

Shane, I am sorry that she died
sad.gif
How did she pass? I would separate your gold one and keep it separated possibly permanently. Some Axolotls just can never be housed together.

Or it could be that they aren't getting enough to eat and attacking one another. They look a bit skinny in the pictures. How often do you feed them?

Also, look into getting another substrate for them if you can like sand. Gravel can be hard on their bellies if they swallow it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1