Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bob's Throwing Up???

S

sarah

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is okay or not okay that bob is throwing up his food?

Sarah

A

andrea

I had this once with one of mine (i'm new to axie keeping) and i searched the posts here and the majority said that it is due to overfeeding. There are lots of posts about it so i cut back on feeding to every other day.

Hope that helps

S

sarah

Thanks for that. Ive only had Bob for four days now, I just want to make sure that he is OK. Ill cut back the amount for sure.

Sarah
44109.jpg

J

joan

Bolus looks like... mucus-encased poo. Or food covered in mucus. How much are you feeding Bob?

C

cynthia

Sarah - Since you have only had him 4 days it could be several things.

He may have rocks in his gut, it could be the change in food, it could be what he was fed before you got him, and he could be trying to eating more than he can handle.

Mammal meat is hard for axolotls to digest if you are feeding mammal meat I would advise to stop and switch to a variety of foods like earth worms, soft salmon or trout pellets, axolotl pellets, crickets, fresh fish fillet slivers ect.

S

sarah

Ok. I am feeding him beef heart (the aquarium shop recommended??) do my rocks in the picture look to small? He does not seem to eat them and they are the same rocks as in the pet shop. He (well I dont know if he is a he for sure yet) only seems to eat if i put it in front of him (on that, do you know any website where you can buy long plastic tweezers, cant find any in OZ)
Im thinking he is eating too much then. I will cut back to three days (vice two and only half???)
Awaiting your reply

Fanx

Sarah
smile.gif

S

sharn

yes he will eat those stones if you arnt hand feeding him. i suggest you either put a large piece of slate etc in there to put food on if you dont want to hand feed him. alternativly you could change to sand, it passes through easier if any does happen to get swallowed. unfortunatly pet shops know very little about their animals and often suggest hear say. around here i can go into one pet shop and give them new advice on keeping their aquatic life each time, theyve come to rely on me for info, which is kind of sad seeing they 'specalise' in animals.
depending on his age once every two to three days will suffice. some axies respond only to movement, mine used to until i just put their food on a rock and eventually they learnt they had noses!!!
have you tried a chemist for the tweezers? maybe they stock it with their first aid gear? god knows what people would use long tweezers for other than for feeding axies lol

A

andrea

Try reptile supplies for feeding tweezers there were long tweezers in all the reptile shops where i live.

R

rheann

Hey-hey! Thanks Cynthia! I didn't even see those on Big Al's, shows I need to explore the site a big more lol. I am going to order a pare of the tongs. Chop sticks and fingers don't work too well
wink.gif

S

sarah

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Bob (or Bobina) says thanks too!

Sarah

C

cynthia

Rheann - I really like those tongs for feeding. Some of my axolotls are always back behind a decoration and the tongs allow me to get a worm back to them even if they wont come out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1